bad rotors on blazer?

My blazer started to make a scraping noise as I drive it. When I first start up the car, there is no noise; but the longer I drive the louder the sound gets. The scraping noise is a short and rhythmic one, and it seems whenever the wheel rotates to this certain position, it makes that noise. So I took it to the garage and was told that the back side of rear rotors were rusted and started to flake off. The cost for replacing them exceeds $600.

I had the car brand new for only 4 years and had been constantly driving it. Why would the rotors rust like that? Is it normal? More importantly, is this what?s causing the noise? And do rotors cost that much? Thanks.

Reply to
blazer10

Rotors should not cost that much. Don't know if they are trying to sell you into getting new pads and calipers? $600 sounds too much but I'm no expert. I just know that for $600, I'd look into doing it myself and see if I can do it for under $100.. My friends rotors only cost $34 each. Her's is simple to install. Literally pops out.

Reply to
Anon

SIX HUNDRED BUCKS!!!!--you're getting ripped And rotors don't "rust", but they will score major grooves if the pads wear out

S-10 front brakes are real easy to do (at least the older ones are) Ya need a cheap floor jack, some stands, lug wrench, 4" or larger C-Clamp, a 3/8 hex drive socket (or perhaps a T-55 socket) and a 10 mm combo wrench Have the rotors turned at a machine shop, (25 bucks for both of them) or replace them with new ones for (at the most) 50 bucks each

Reply to
ken

Actually they do RUST, they also have been known to delaminate. Nothing to do with bad pads. The rotors themselves rot.

600 bucks is high IF they are only changing the rotors. I would bet that price includes new calipers,new pads, new hardware, new rotors. Some of those parts are RIDICULOUS if you buy them from a dealer. The rotors that have the problems cannot be cut because the iron itself is junk. Plus many newer rotors don't have much meat left when you cut them.

FYI here is MY current cost on those items (this is before markup and tax) Rotor - 74.79 x 2 = 149.58 Caliper (loaded) =

88.95 W 4 wheel disc brakes x 2 = 177.90 68.96 W/O 4 wheel discs x 2 = 137.92 Hardware kit = 14.08

301.58 or 341.56 just for parts.

Reply to
Steve W.

"" wrote: > SIX HUNDRED BUCKS!!!!--you're getting ripped > And rotors don't "rust", but they will score major grooves if > the pads > wear out > > S-10 front brakes are real easy to do (at least the older ones > are) > Ya need a cheap floor jack, some stands, lug wrench, 4" or > larger > C-Clamp, a 3/8 hex drive socket (or perhaps a T-55 socket) and > a 10 mm > combo wrench > Have the rotors turned at a machine shop, (25 bucks for both > of them) > or replace them with new ones for (at the most) 50 bucks each

I know they were trying to rip me off there. Those are the rotors on the rear wheels, and the pads need to be replaced as well.

One place I asked said the rotors would cost a little short of $60 per piece, but they will charge $70 for the labor.

Another place asks for $193 per piece, and charges $17 per hour for the labor.

The third place says they could do the job for $155.64, but if I need to get my pads replaced, I need to throw in another $70...

I dont know...

Reply to
blazer10
Reply to
blazer10

sound

THey are not "Junk" they just can rust a bit easy. The reason the pads rust is because of a high mettalic content. You could switch to a less aggressive pad too with no ot little metalic content too.

Reply to
SnoMan

What usually happens is the bolts get a little rust on them and cause the caliper to hang. It may hang straight or cocked enough to cause a problem. For most shops it is not worth the time to rebuild a caliper since it is actually faster to just replace them and bleed the system. Just noticed you are saying these are the rear discs that are bad. That throws a few wrenches in the works. Namely the rear brake rotors are actually rotors and drums in one unit. The parking brake shoes are inside the hat.

So revised parts list-

Rotors - 111.79 ea. Calipers - 72.79 ea. loaded with Ultra premium Ceramic pads. Disc alignment kit - 14.16 ea. Pin boot kit - 4.11 ea. Brake shoe kit (includes revised retainer hardware) - 65.79

So your now at - 471.49 for parts.

I would say to replace the rotors with a GOOD replacement (not the cheapest on the rack) Replace the pads with a ceramic composite set (no rust and no dust, usually less noise as well) Replace the calipers as a precaution (How long have they been sticking? How hot have they gotten as a result? Has that caused any damage? - I don't know and neither does the shop and since the factory calipers have a phenolic piston why take a chance) Pull the front brakes and check them as well as replace the front pads with ceramics to match the rears.

43.79 for the pads. Those are ACDelco Durastop ceramics.

Bleed the system and send you down the road.

Reply to
Steve W.
Reply to
blazer10

This is a waste of your money big time and be advised that ceramic pads are very hard on rotors and if you keep truck you will be replacing the rotors again soon if you use them. When you brake there is a LOT of heat and friction and something has to "give". Ideally you want the pads soft enough so that they do not wear the rotors. I have original rotors on all my vehcials and one is 26 years old. I do not use hard or exotic pads and replace the pads as needed a litle bit more often but a LOT cheap than replacing pad and rotors every brake job.

Reply to
SnoMan

Its hard to know. There are places that use good parts and charge accordingly. There are places that use cheap parts and still charge as if they are using the good stuff, and there are cut rate places that use cheap parts and unskilled shade trees and charge way less. Occansionally you find a one horse garage that uses good parts, with a far mark up, and under values his labor.( I got one of these, and he always gets paid a bit more than he asks because I know how much it should cost, and he always does an out standing job)

As for design, I think rear disc brakes on a truck has to be the worst idea ever come up with, worse than fords one year "Unibody" 1/2 ton fleet side back in the sixties.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning