Bed swap on a '78 GMC

Hi All

Has anyone tried swapping a newer (post 1988) bed on to a 73-87 truck. I need to replace the rusted bed on my truck and am having difficulties finding an original type replacement (short bed fleetside). I'm also looking at making a flat deck instead, but I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Ken

Reply to
Poochie

i know a new sportside can be made to fit (guy in town has one), i'm sure if a stepside will fit then most likely a SWB would fit as well.

Good luck TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

My father and I did it, using a 93 stepside bed. The body lines on the bed at the lower front where it meets the cab are much more curved than the cab. We grafted on a little fiberglas to the cab to get them to blend better. We also notched the floor cross brace behind the wheel arch (I think it was that one) to get the bed low enough to look right. Some simple L shaped brackets attached to the frame rails to use the original bed mounting points.

Send me an email to JohnAlt a t charter d o t net and I can send you some pictures. I work offshore now, so my visits to this group are erratic and often delayed. You might have to wait a couple weeks for a reply.

Reply to
John Alt