Canyon - Maybe this weekend.

I'm thinking really hard about a GMC Canyon 4 X 2 SLE with 4 banger and auto, and may just do it this weekend.

Advice?

Comments?

Reply to
Commentator

--------------------------------- Cant you get a V6 in that thing? Does that 4 banger have any power?

Reply to
Scott M

Hi!

Nope, a V6 choice "died" with the S-10...the most you can get is an I5 and I'm not sure if it's available just yet.

Dunno about the power. I saw one at the local dealership and the interior looked nice enough, but it's godawful goofy looking on the outside.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Bought it this afternoon.

4 cyl, puts out 175 hp and 185 ft/lbs. 5 cyl puts out 220 & 225.

Goofy looking? It actually looks like a truck now. The S-10 and Sonoma always looked like dinky toys to me. Canyon / Colorado at least look solid, whether you like the styling or not.

Personal preference, I guess.

Reply to
Commentator

Well, I looked at one when they first came out. It was an extended cab with those goofy rear jump seats. I didn't think the interior was well furnished. It didn't ride well either. The between the wheel well width would not accommodate a piece of plywood. I was used to a standard size Silverado, so I bought a GMC Sierra and am very satisfied.

Nope, a V6 choice "died" with the S-10...the most you can get is an I5 and I'm not sure if it's available just yet.

Dunno about the power. I saw one at the local dealership and the interior looked nice enough, but it's godawful goofy looking on the outside.

William

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Hope you enjoy it. You're right about personal opinion. That's why there are different sizes for different drivers. I might have liked the Crew Cab model better, but I still am glad I opted for the bigger truck. I drove my last one for 26 years.

Bought it this afternoon.

4 cyl, puts out 175 hp and 185 ft/lbs. 5 cyl puts out 220 & 225.

Goofy looking? It actually looks like a truck now. The S-10 and Sonoma always looked like dinky toys to me. Canyon / Colorado at least look solid, whether you like the styling or not.

Personal preference, I guess.

Reply to
Ann Meffert

In many respects, I would prefer the bigger truck too. My first new vehicle was a '78 Chevy 1/2 ton.

But being practical. I put about 30,000 kilometres a year on a vehicle, and I have a desk job - so it is not like I really NEED a truck. I just WANT a truck, but can't justify in my own mind the higher cost, lower mileage, etc. The Canyon is the first small truck from GM that I actually viewed as an option.

BTW, I agree on the extended cab. The jump seats are an improvement over the S-10 / Sonoma, but still don't cut it. In my mind, if I wanted the extra seating, the crew cab would have been the only other option.

Reply to
Commentator

Hi!

That's my beloved "big rig"...and it's how I think a truck should look! :-) But everyone has a different opinion...

I had a hard time accepting the 2003 fullsize Chevy and GMC trucks as not being goofy looking. Now since they're pretty common I guess I've gotten used to them. Maybe in time I'll come around to the Colorado/Canyon, but they seem awfully toylike in some configurations...

Crew cab ones look goofy with that small bed on the back. Kinda makes you wonder why they bothered! ;-) I think the others look pretty good, and I'm especially biased toward the extended cabs. I love mine.

Not sure I agree there, but personal preference it is once again. I didn't really care for the recent TV commercial about the Colorado--the one (the only so far?) where that kid is singing the Shania Twain song...and all his buddies find it annoying or awkward or uncomfortable or whatever...they should have just changed the radio or thrown him out or something "entertaining" like that.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh