changing oil in manual transmission and odometers

I have an '89 chevy 4sp w/od and a 4.3 liter v6 the engine and tranny are both original with upwards of 350+ miles on them, i'm on the second clutch, it probably only has 30k on it. the tranny has NEVER had any work done on it including an oil check, change, or fillup. i don't know how to check it or open it to drain it. My dad says that if it ain't broke don't fix it, that manual transmissions don't need servicing unless something wrong. i've had the truck since 1992 with no issues following that philosophy so far, but as it gets older, i have a feeling i'm might be living on borrowed time.

currently, it's not making any noise, or acting strange, and i hauled two 1200 pound loads of concrete today so it's acting like it's ok, i just want to try and get another 350+ miles out of it.

any advice? should i leave well enough alone or should i attempt to maintain it by changing the oil?

Also, one other thing, my trip odometer no longer works, neither does my acutal milage odometer, they both stopped working regular when the odometer was at 220k 7 or 8 years ago and sporadically worked since.

my inspection sticker milage v my odometer mileage says i've gone about 8 miles since september...8 miles is a one way trip to town for me. i make 4 or 5 trips per week. any ideas or advice on fixing? all my fuses are good and the speedo works most of the time. if it quits, it gets a good thump on the plastic window and works.

i know she's old enough to vote, (ol' booger red turned 18 this year,

15 of them with me) i plan to keep her for a little while longer...maybe give'r to one of my sons when they graduate highschool. anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
nanook