Changing Oil question for the experts

ever see overhead cam engines break cams from lack of lube on startup? ever hear the i'm sorry, warranty won't cover that since you used non approved oil. ever see an oil filter blow apart? ever see excessive oil consumption after changing from a heavier weight oil to a thinner grade?

Reply to
Rondo

Actually all oil is "multi-viscosity". The straight weights just don't tell you what their cold temp viscosity really is. All oils thin as they get hot. Since conventional oils need to add a VI to get Multi-viscosity I expect it is somewhat heavier. Multi-Viscosity Synthetics can be made without VI.

In any case all oils thin as they get hot.

Reply to
Dick

There has been problems with Viscosity Improvers but only in the wide range stuff like 10W40. I have found some good information on oils in the "Engine Oil Bible":

You might note that some vehicles like the Corvette require the use of Synthetics because they are superior at high temperatures.

Reply to
Dick

With an argument like that we'd be fools not to listen to you, lol. b

Reply to
Battleax

They have AC, Motorcraft also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

NO NO and NO

And I've put in many a year at a car dealer.. They cannot refuse a warranty for type of oil. Even if they COULD prove what you used. Which they can't.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Not in my area. Not long ago they got rid of all the other brands. Same thing with KMart.

Reply to
Dick

lol 4 questions, 3 answers? ditto, and YES also i might add, depends on ambient and operating temps.

Reply to
Rondo

I double checked at WalMart tonight. No AC Filters of any type (oil or air). They don't even have AC Spark Plugs anymore. They only had a coupole Motorcraft oil filters. All their air filters and most oil filters were Fram. They had some oil filters (forget the name) that I think might be their brand.

Reply to
Dick

Same here. They used to have them, but it's strictly Fram now.

rc

Reply to
russ crisp