Chevrolet Blazer 2000, 4.3 Vortec, V6, missing bad. Tune up? Vacuum hoses? Timin

2000 Chevrolet Blazer with a 4.3 Vortec V6 is very hard to start and seems to be flooding. When the engine fires and starts it is missing bad and running
extremely rough. I am sure that without the excellerator pedal being held to maintain 1000 rpm the engine would die. What should we start with to diagnose the problem or problems? Please advise as replacing parts using the shade tree can be very expensive.
On 2/4/2015 9:18 AM, Buck wrote:

Had similar problem. Do a compression check. May or may not tell you anything, but it might.
I had a cam loose a lobe.

Bad cam is a common GM problem Also do a pressure check on the injector system to see if you have a leaking injector (assuming your (seams to be flooding" is based on sound judgement) and also check to be sure the vacuum controlled fuel pressure regulator is not leaking, pouring raw gas into the intake.