Chevy Blazer Rear Bumper Removal

I want to remove the rear bumper on my 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer and either a) try to hammer out the dents or b) replace with a new bumper in better condition (i.e. less dents). This is all the Haynes Manual has to say about the Rear Bumper: "The rear bumper simply attaches to the frame with nuts and bolts. When installing, torque the large bumper-to-frame bolts to 77 ft. lbs. and the smaller brace nuts and bolts to 20 ft. lbs.". That's about it....no diagram or anything. It appears that the bumper itself is mounted to a bracket which in turn is mounted to the frame. Are the bolts easy to get to? Where are they located? Also, any additional tips on my "bumper rehab project" would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Spiderman

I have a 1997 S-10 and thought the bumper would be hell to remove. Once I learned it was only 4 simple bolts, it takes me about 5 minutes to remove. Of course, the first time I did it, and it took much longer as I started to unbolt the adaptors from the frame rather then just unbolting the bumper from the adaptors. Also, there are numerous bumpers dealers and individuals can put on these trucks. I'm sure we've all seen many different ones for the same YMM.

Also... the Hayes manuals just suck in some cases :) (they tell me my oil filter is remotely located inside a box. It's not. It screws into the engine just like most other vehicles.

I'd start looking for bolts that appear to _just_ attach the _bumper_ to the vehicle. Look for bolts that are easy to get at.

Reply to
Todd Copeland