1963 chevy rear end removal help needed

the rear end on my 63 chevy pickup does not turn and I am trying to remove it. the truck is the kind with trailing arms that are attached in the middle of the frame and slope downwards towards to the back of the truck there are coil springs on top of the arms and the shock absorbers are hooked to them too

the rear end is bolted with U- bolts to the arms, it is mounted on top of the arms I have loosened the nuts on the u-bolts but the u bolts are stuck on!

I have disconnected the shock absorbers and jumped on the rear bumper and made it bounce pretty good, but it will not come apart!

so the weight of the truck is pushing down on the arms. the axle, which is on top of the arms is pushing up but it still doesnt come apart!

does anyone have any ideas? should I use a gear puller? the arms look like I-beams, there is a big lip.

thanks, Peter

Reply to
captain bob

Recently R & R'ed my '64's rear end. Assuming yours is the same, or close.... Unless your u-bolts are welded, they'll come off. Get the truck off the ground, on blocks. Soak the threads, nut, general area with WD-40 and use an extension-pipe,* if you need the leverage. Protecting the threads, use a hammer and/or crow bar to remove the bolts.

My u-bolts had never been touched, so they required some persuasion. I used a deep socket with a breaker bar, and a 3' length of 2" iron pipe. Oh, those suckers were coming off, one way or another.

  • Such serious leverage that I twisted the hinged male end of the breaker bar... Fortunately, it was a Craftsman, so they replaced it, no questions asked.

Good luck,

Unc

Reply to
uncle k

i had a similar prob with a 66...rear ring gear was smooth as a babys ass so a swap was in need....u bolts were stuck real good...( years of shti and abuse....not to mention a bit o rust and assorted other crap) cleaned them up as best i could....give them a little heat with a torch.....a couple whacks ta make me feel better....after that a bit of penetrating oil and all was well!

Reply to
Jay Anderson

uummm....with the heat thing i mentioned...common knowledge of course...be really careful not to heat it up all that much....axle warpage and all ....

Reply to
Jay Anderson

ok I took the nuts completely off with some penetrant and a long 1/2" breaker bar. then decided it was better to put them back on the end of the bolts for when the axle comes off! the nuts are on the ends of the bolts with approx 3/4" for the truck to fall.

where should I use the hammer? I have a long heavy flat ended metal bar (like a giant slotted screwdriver with no handle)

I tried between the axle and the arms, but the arm there doesnt have a flat top to pry against. should I try under the top of the u bolts between them and the axle?

there is no good way to hammer upwards on the end of the bolts (with the nuts on to protect the threads.

I also poured some oil around the u-bolts, there is sort of a cup there on top of the arms, it leaked through onto the ground. maybe I will use my jar of wd-40, it has sat unused for too long.

thank you for the help, Peter

Reply to
captain bob

where do you apply heat? on the ends of the bolts or maybe on the sides of the arms where the bolt goes through, I can see where they are.

will a propane torch cause problems weakening anything? or isnt it hot enough?

I am glad to know I'm not the only person who has had this problem. thanks and have a good day, Peter.

Reply to
captain bob

Reply to
Jessie Herrera