Chevy s10 front brake/rotor replacement

I have a 91 2 wheel drive pu that I use sparingly, but I need new brakes and rotors. I put a set of pads on last summer, and they are shot already, just because of the condition of the rotors. After I remove the caliper, do the rotors just come off, possibly by banging on the inside of them, or is there anything I have to loosen or remove? Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

This just like older rear wheel drive cars. Dust cover comes off then cotter pin is removed. Adjusting nut is then removed, washer and outer bearing, Rotor and hub assembly then will come off,. turn over and pry inner wheel bearing seal out and discard, remove inner bearing. Bearings need to be cleaned inspected and repacked with fresh grease high temp wheel bearing grease. I like Multiplex Red from Kendall, or their L-427 "SuperBlue". Valvoline has a good one as well, Multi-Purpose Grease/GM. A new inner wheel bearing seal is needed. Personally I would just replace the bearings. The bearings a races wear to one another, and wheel bearings aren't that expensive. Timken set 6 for the outer, and Timken set 34 for the inner. around $23 for both, toss the included races away, the ones in the replacement rotor will be fine. Let me rephrase that, if you buy a good rotor it will have races installed, I've seen bargain basements that did not, in which case use the new races. On packing the bearings, I like to fill the area between the hub with grease as well, others don't.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning