945TG Front Brake Rotor Replacement

My 1994 945TG (w/ABS) front brake rotors are quite worn and I would like to replace them myself. I looked at the Haynes manual and found it pretty useless. Does anyone know of a site that has good, detailed instructions on replacing the front rotors, with photos? Also, before I install the new rotors, do I need to have them turned or are they generally turned at the factory?

Reply to
Greg Cearley

Replacing the rotors is pretty much a no brainer once you get the wheel off. There's a couple bolts to remove the caliper and then a bolt that holds the rotor on, it should come right off after removing that and you can put the calipers back together with new pads. Be sure to use anti squeel compound, decent quality pads, and lubricate the brake hardware. I use a C clamp to push the pistons back into the bore with the old pads in place before installing new pads. Any generic manual on doing brake work can cover that part. No need to turn the rotors, they're ready to go right out of the box, turning them just wastes thickness and is generally not done at all anymore, when rotors wear they just get replaced.

Reply to
James Sweet

It is a very easy job to change front rotors. The rotors should be fitted as they come, as they have been surfaced before leaving factory.

What could be easier then removing the wheel, undoing the calliper bolts and swinging calliper up out of the way, undoing the spigot bolt (locates wheel correctly against rotor) and taking a hide-faced mallet to the rotor if it is a bit stiff, usually with corrosion.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Excellent - it sounds straightforward.

I have heard that there are other options for pads and rotors than Volvo replacement parts. Specifically, I was told to use Zimmerman rotors and Textar or Mintex/TMD pads.

Does anyone have information or a recommendation on non-Volvo rotors and pads?

Greg

Reply to
Greg Cearley

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:44:02 GMT, "Greg Cearley" wibbled about:

EBC Greenstuff seem to work quite well. I am using these with cheapo rotors and there is a lot less dust as well as braking performance being better.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

There's lots of options, I've had good luck with Brembo rotors and PBR pads but there's plenty of good stuff otu there.

Reply to
James Sweet