Code 13

On my 87 GMC van, 350TBI engine, I'm getting a code 13, which, depending on which book I look in, is either low volt on O2, or unresponsive O2 sensor.

That's the only code I have. Since the Bosch OEM O2 sensor replacement is less than $20, I'm tempted just to replace it, but is there anything else that could cause that code? The engine seems to run great.

Thanks,

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Chances are GREAT that the O2 sensor will make the 13 go away. For $20, why would you not just change it? The 02 sensor is a maintenance item anyway and a good one saves fuel. If, for some strange reason, that turned out not to be the problem, you'd have a spare sensor for the future. That's just how I look at it because I'm in a vehicle for the long haul.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

You're right, of course, that the price makes switching sensors the obvious thing to do. However, I've been conditioned not to just throw parts at something if you're not positive that the part will fix the problem. In this case, it's no doubt best to go ahead and switch the sensors. I was just wondering if there were something else common that the guys in the NG would know about off the top of their head.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Its just the sensor......Your code shot when more than likely the sensor stopped sending a signal....just change he sensor and clear the codes......Are you having any other problems with its performance? Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

No other performance problems, really. A little stumble when cold is all. Overall the van runs great. Thanks for the help.

CJ

Re: Code 13

Its just the sensor......Your code shot when more than likely the sensor stopped sending a signal....just change he sensor and clear the codes......Are you having any other problems with its performance? Steve C

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Buy a fuel filter too while your at the parts store.

Reply to
Scott M

Thanks for the advice. I bought one of those and installed it about 3 mos ago tho.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Thanks to everyone who replied. I changed the O2 sensor, which was a bear. It partially stripped the manifold on the way out, and it took a thread chaser to clean it up enough to put the new one in. Fortunately, with some hard labor, I was finally able to get the new one in. I just hope it doesn't have to come out again. :-)

The Code 13 I was getting is gone. All of you were right. The old sensor was in deplorable condition. I'm hoping for increased gas mileage now too.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown