Dashboard lights in an '03 Silverado

How hard is to replace the lamp behind the tach in an '03 Silverado? I'm hesitant to even start digging...

Reply to
scrape

Sounds intimidating, but it's not: remove the cluster...replace the bulb. It's not that hard a job....scroll down to the 2003-2006 Cluster removal FAQ on this page....has diagrams as well.

Augustus

Thanks!

Reply to
scrape

To change the bulb you must pull off all the gauge pointers. The pointers are not keyed so when you replace them all the gauges may be out of calibration. We use calibrated signals to adjust the pointers to the correct position.

mrwhizard

Okay, so how much do you want to charge me to replace a bulb?

Reply to
scrape

If your carful about it, you can turn the key on, Mark the Locations of where the Pointers are Located,(using a Piece of paper) turn the key back off, then Carefully take it apart, Pop off only the pointers you need to to get to the bulb you need to replace. Peel back the Display cover and get to the bulb, replace then just Reverse. You have to be carful and know what your doing. You also don't want to do things like Mark where the pointers are when the truck has been driven awhile for example, Mark the pointer locations, and when you put the Pointers back on later, the truck has cooled down. Of course you want to put the pointers back on with the Dash plugged back in and the key back on, get them on, and then Remove again and put fully back together. It's not HARD, but it's not Simple either, and you can easily screw up the pointer locations where they will never read right.

I would suggest you get a Aftermarket Cover to replace the stock one. Not only do they come with a simple tool to pop the pointers off, they do give you some directions on how to go about doing it. Since you have to pull the cover anyway to get to the bulb, why not change things a bit while your at it? Here's some examples of what I'm talking about and for your truck. You peel the stock one off to get to the Bulbs anyway so why not?!?

JBDragon