Door hinge rollers

On my 98 Blazer, the back door makes a terrible squauk when I open or close it. There's a roller, that goes up against a spring loaded piece. The roller, I can't find the right lube. I've tried assortment of different lubes, and nothing much lasts.

I'm in western NY, so we do get road salt. But the passenger side should get very little salt.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Steve Barker

Fun isn't it. What I do with the door stay rollers is to remove the door spring. Then CLEAN the roller with a good degreaser. Once you get it cleaned out and moving good get some Lubriplate dry lubricant. It is basically a fast evaporating solvent with teflon/graphite powder in it. You can get it in a spray can OR the better way is in a oil can. Then you apply a bit, let it dry, turn it and apply a bit more. About three turns with lube and it will stay free for a year or so.

I'm in the center of NY so I get to deal with the same conditions.

Reply to
Steve W.

Two Steves, both reccomending lubriplate. Thanks, that may just be the answer.

Last night, I cleaned it as best possible with carb cleaner, and then ether. To strip it down to clean metal. And then a couple drops of 10w30 motor oil.

Lubriplate will be the next try.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This AMSOIL prodiuct is better than Lubriplate. It has a solvent base that evaporates once applied and leave a waxy lubrication that will not drip off when temps warm up. It also protects against road salt and can be used as an undercoat for areas on the vehicle that are exposed.

It makes that absolute best lubrication for motorcycle chains and has many other uses such as long term storage of guns. I've seen first hand rifles stored barrel down in a gun safe and the home was flooded. Not one gun barrel had any rust on it two weeks after the water receeded.

Reply to
Steve

If you are going to bash Lubriplate, Youre nothing but a quack daft idiot.

Reply to
None4U

I agree.. AM$OIL.. LMAO! might just as well spray it with fukkin wd40.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Children! This is usenet! You can't flame each other!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

| news:qbwTl.63254$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad... | > "Stormin Mormon" wrote in message | > news:gvklih$2bq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org... | > | On my 98 Blazer, the back door makes a terrible squauk when | > | I open or close it. There's a roller, that goes up against a | > | spring loaded piece. The roller, I can't find the right | > | lube. I've tried assortment of different lubes, and nothing | > | much lasts. | > | | > | I'm in western NY, so we do get road salt. But the passenger | > | side should get very little salt. | > | | > | -- | > | Christopher A. Young | > | Learn more about Jesus | > |

| > This AMSOIL prodiuct is better than Lubriplate. It has a solvent base | > that evaporates once applied and leave a waxy lubrication that will | > not drip off when temps warm up. It also protects against road salt | > and can be used as an undercoat for areas on the vehicle that are | > exposed. | >

| > It makes that absolute best lubrication for motorcycle chains and has | > many other uses such as long term storage of guns. I've seen first | > hand rifles stored barrel down in a gun safe and the home was flooded. | > Not one gun barrel had any rust on it two weeks after the water | > receeded. | >

| | If you are going to bash Lubriplate, Youre nothing but a quack daft idiot. | |

I did not bash Lubriplate. Lubriplate is a good product and it is used at G.M. dealerships all over the country. It is used Houston, Texas to lubricate door rollers - both in the paste form and in aerosol. I've issued out many a pint can of lubriplate under the G.M. part number 1052349. It is also available in a 16oz aerosol can under a G.M. part number - but I can't remember the exact part number.

All I stated was that for the particluar situation (the O/P lives in New York and has road salt) that the AMSOIL product would provide more protection for a longer period of time under the stated conditions.

Lubriplate will not protect against road salt. Lubriplate will wash off when exposed to water Specific Gravity = 0.89 (Water = 1) Water is HEAVIER than Lubriplate. See URL:

The product mentioned about MPHD - Metal Protectant Heavy Duty - applies in a liquid state and the solvent evaporates leaving a permanent waxy lubrication that resists penetration by water and provides a barrier against road salt. It leaves a visible residue similar to cosmoline.

The MSDS for AMSOIL's Metal Protector HD Pay careful attention: The specific gravity shows 0.65 (lighter than lubriplate - in Liquid Form). While it is lighter than Lubriplate in the aerosol container, the liquid solvent evaporates leaving the much heavier coating that will protect against splashing water and road salt.
It is even recommeded as an undercoating to protect against road salt. Show me where Lubriplate recommends using their product as an undercoating to protect against road salt.

You guys just crack me up with your finger pointing and foul language. Finger Pointing and Foul Language is so much easier than independent investigation and fact finding which leads to unbiased and knowledge based understanding as a direct result of personal learning. Only your biases stand in the way of learning.

Reply to
Steve

Lubriplate makes numerous products ,greases and oils . Which are used all over the world including the Aviation industry. I can recommend using WD40 for an undercoating for road salt. Its just as good as Amsoil for salt. Technically , you are advertising spam, as you dont own Amsoil, and its not your personal non commercial business. And furthermore most group posting rules ban any postings if the group members complain about it. Although i havnt read this groups posting rules . The only ironclad items Ive seen allowed on most groups are personal items for sale from a home.

Reply to
None4U

speaking of roller pin....

I've got a roller pin on my 2000 S10 and it appears to be bent, or in this case wobbly. I've long ago lost the spring on this door. I suspect the roller pin broke.

how do you go about removing the roller pin?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

message

Sorry I'm late.

A couple of lubes to try: Kiwi mink oil (from the shoe polish display), and castor oil (from the laxatives aisle.) Both have very high film strength. The mink oil will stay in place better, but won't penetrate as well. Depends how accessible the roller and cam are.

Or just spray it every month or two with WD-40. (I know it's a poor lubricant)

HTH

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

It's not real hard. Buy the new one. Then you can do one of two things.

IF the bushings in the hinges are worn (if they are the original ones they are probably shot) Remove the hinge pins (remove the retaining washer, then drive them out using a punch and heavy hammer OR an air chisel with the correct bit. Now you can access the rood control roller. It drives out like the hinge pins BUT some have a small crimp to hold them in. Those you can just cut through the shaft then drive out the pieces. Then just drive in the new one. Replace the bushings and reinstall the door. Get a new spring and buy/borrow the spring tool to install it.

If you have good bushings you can replace the door control without removing the door. It's just a LOT tighter place to work in.

Be careful when you pull/replace the door. The top rear corner of the fender is VERY tight to the door, makes it easy to scratch the paint there. I stick a rag or piece of tape on it to protect the finish.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hinge pin, what I did was to take a hydraulic jack and a block of wood, to hold the weight of the door. The pin is retained by an E-clip, which pulled off with a good yank using a pair of pliers. The pin then drove out, using a hammer and a big nail. Or maybe I pried under the end with a screw driver, and drove it out with a hammer and flat blade screw driver. Just like removing the pin from an interior house door. Been a while, I can't remember the details.

I think the roller pin (axle?) is stamped in, and not easy to remove. You may have to look up from under, and see what you can find.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll admit, I hadn't thought of those. At the moment, I'm trying 10w30 motor oil. I sprayed the old oil and metal shavings out with a big blast of solvent. Might have used brake cleaner. Glad I didn't explode my truck!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon