Question for Hyundaitech

Thanks for responding to my earlier question on a stuck horn. You suggested to check the switch in the steering wheel. I have not gone inside of a steering wheel with air bags, is it OK to do so. Is it easy to screw up? Any hints on what to watch out for? I can't find anything on web tech about it. I checked web tech for the location of the horn relay and discovered that the two fuse/relay charts (one under shop, other under ETM) has the location of the horn relay and a headlight relay switched, one shows it in a different place than the other. Are the relays labeled so I can know which is which? thanks again!!

Reply to
Partner

If the horn relay is in the underhood relay box-- I believe it is-- it'll be labeled on the fuse/relay box lid. Pulling the relay will prevent battery drain from a shorted horn switch.

When you're ready to check the horn switch, disconnect the battery ten minutes prior to working on the car. This should allow the air bag computer to discharge its capacitors. Then, with the battery disconnected, check the system. Any wiring with yellow tape on it will be for the air bag system. Don't do any testing on this wiring. If you need to reconnect the battery to continue testing the horn, it's okay to do so, but *do not* (dis)connect any air bag components or do anything with the air bag wires while the battery is connected. Also, do not turn your key on. If the air bag is removed and you turn the key on, your air bag system will recognize that there is an open circuit in the driver's air bag circuit (because the air bag is not there) and turn on the air bag lamp. Then you'll need to take it to the dealer to have it turned off. If you've reconnected the battery, disconnect it and wait another ten minutes prior to doing anything additional with the air bag system.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks, Hyundaitech. You are a great asset to this group!!

Reply to
Partner

How do I gain access to the button (after power is disconnected) - does the plastic cover pry/lift off, or are there hidden screws? (99 Sonata). Thanks.

Reply to
jk