ETR Stereo Mods

I currently have a factory ETR stereo system with a cd player in my truck and I would like to improve the quality of its sound. Has anyone had any luck finding replacements for the factory speakers that have some sort of decent bass response or have you had to add a subwoofer? If you have added a subwoofer were you able to add it to the factory ETR system. I really would prefer to keep OEM radio/cd setup if possible. Thanks, Phil Woolfe

Reply to
PW

Hi!

Plenty of replacement speakers can be had.

is agood place to start. If you order from them they'll even provide some niceinstructions. If you don't mind a DIY approach, this is what I would do.(And no, I have no special affiliation of any sort--I'm just a satisfiedcustomer...)

I didn't replace the speakers when I put a new radio in my '03 S-10...the factory units sounded pretty good, although one does appear to be rattling something in the door now, so maybe I spoke too soon. (I've never played it

*that* loudly, so I can't think it's blown...) I am mentioning this because you might find the tone balance problem is in your radio and NOT the speakers. My stock radio was very bass heavy, and it appears that all of them in the S-10 and Colorado are this way. I couldn't satisfactorily adjust it out with the provided tone controls.

You can do this with equipment (such as amplifiers, like you'd need for a sub) that will take a so-called "speaker level" input. I had a neighbor who kept his factory "head unit" and used amps capable of accepting speaker-level signals to drive his replacement speakers.

Hope that helps...

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh