Experiences with Block Sealers

Anyone tried a block sealer for a water leak, such as K&W Block Seal or CarGo Seal Up?

Reply to
Ed Light

Bad, bad, bad news man. All of em' are a temporary fix that will cause bigger problems in the near future. They're designed to be used as a temp fix (like a few days) until the repair can be completed properly.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I agree with Doc. Remember when Zerex Antifreeze had the leak sealer in it? Block sealers may stop the leak but they will also gunk up the whole system. Rich B

Reply to
Rich B

""Doc"" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

The K&W stuff is nasty and sure looks like something that would plug the tubes in a radiator to me, also. I hesitate to add the following, as I know I'm going to be flamed big time. I put a new water pump on an '85 Chev. 1/2 ton pickup with the 6.2 L diesel. On this engine it's a bigger job than on the gasoline engines. You have to remove a large plates assy. that the pump mounts to with a long and convoluted sealing surface. I'm careful about this kind of stuff and cleaned the block and plate sealing surfaces very, very good. Used good aviation high temp. sealer from work that had never failed me before in many years of using it. Two days later coolant started seeping around the drivers side of the plate. Tightened all the mount bolts again, no help. I said, "F&*k this, I ain't doing this damn job over." Drove to the grocery store, bought a large box of black pepper, poured it down the radiator with the engine hot and idling. By the time I got the truck back home, the leak had stopped. Drove that truck another 60,000 miles until my oldest boy totaled it. Never leaked again. Never plugged the radiator. I know it's a shade tree fix, but I was just flat tired out from that pump change. The pepper is an old trick I learned back in the '50's. The sealing tabs the GM requires in the cooling system of my wife's '99 Aurora Northstar engine when the coolant is replaced are also some kind of organic powder. I had a couple still in the shrink wrap laying around somewhere, but just looked and couldn't find them. It was turmeric, or something. If it's more than just a seep, though, this probably wouldn't work.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

"Garrett Fulton" wrote

GM is still using that sealer. On a recent recall for the 3800 engines, you have to put a couple of tabs of it in the radiator. You are right, it's organic, can't remember quite what it's made of, but its a common substance that you can eat. It doesn't clog anything, simply goes to the point of the leak and swells when it hits air. At least, this is what I've been told it does.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

No, but I've used a box of cornstarch before and it always seals permanently.

Reply to
Joe Sprawling

How big a box would that be?

Reply to
Ed Light

Just a small one. Can't remember the exact ounces. Smallest one you can find in the store.

Reply to
Joe Sprawling

I recommend a 50 lb bag of flour to seal or absorb engine leaks. Or at least I did until all the dust exploded after some driving.

William The Smartacre Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

The main ingredient in these products is sodium silicate or some people refer to it as water glass. These products are diluted for safety. IF you can find straight water glass its worth a try. I have seen this actually work in a big cummins. They put about a quart in and its still not leaking. The reason they dont sell it straight is because its VERY DANGEROUS in pure form so dont get it on you. I believe the stuff is kind of expensive. Here is an article you can read:

CCred68046

That is used to fill tires to make them run-flat approved.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ