factory platinum plugs in 97 tahoe

Just bought this 97 tahoe vortec 350 my brother has a 98. compared to his mine seems to be lacking a little bit of power. Before i got it someone put a set of standard champions in it. it comes from the factory with ac platinums just wanting to know if anyone knows anything about this. i was going to put the factory plugs back in it but i wanted to get another opinion before i paid $6/plug

Reply to
Brian Prater

"Brian Prater" wrote

Whenever you have a GM product with Champion plugs in it, it's always a good idea to change back to the original GM plug. You would probably have good luck with just going back to whatever standard A/C plug works in that application, just won't last as long as the platinum plugs.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Brian, pull a plug and check the gap. Platinum plugs require a larger gap because they have a cooler spark (on yours I believe it's 0.060"). If the prior owner threw non-platinum plugs in her and set the gap to what the emissions label or manual said (0.060") they are gapped way to big. Non-platinum plugs in your vehicle should be running at 0.035"-0.040". So, while I would replace them all with Platinum plugs gapped to spec, you can run your non-platinum plugs so long as they have the correct gap of

0.035-0.040.

Valve noise is not a known problem with the Vortec 350's.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"