Plugs

What plugs come standard on a 97' SC2?

I was reading, some say NGK (or whatever), some say AC Delco.

I know you should use "resistor' plugs, but what part numbers am I looking for, etc?

I'm really frustrated with the local parts people throwing crap at me.

-Brian

Reply to
HyperCube33

Double platinum AC Delco's...

S-series Saturns use a "waste spark" ignition system so the only thing you should look at is Double Platinum Plugs. Or plain plugs if you dont mind changing your plugs on shorter intervals. Single platinum plugs will be a waste on a waste spark system as Half the plugs would wear out. NEVER EVER waste your money on anything made by Bosch! Bosch produces nothing but absolute crap for plugs. Same goes for any multi prong/split fire junk... I have found Autolite and AC Delco plugs have worked best in pretty much everything. Autolites are usually cheaper. People here have raved about NGK's but I have yet to find double platinum NGK's...

Autolite Double Platinum (APP3926) .040" gap about $4 bucks each.

If your engine doesnt foul out your plugs they should last 80k miles. Plugs are half the battle. If you dont have wires that spec under 15k ohms you're going to have problems.

Reply to
BläBlä

I use double platinum NGK in another vehicle so I assume they probably make them for the Saturn application as well. But, they are very expensive and for the application I use them in I must remove the intake plenum to gain access to the rear 3 plugs (transverse V6), so the cost is worth it knowing I only need to replace them every 60K miles.

For the Saturn, access is so easy that changing all the plug takes 10 minutes (including removal and gapping) so I'd say save the money and use the AC Delco ones. I agree from my experience in other vehicles that Bosch plugs perform sporadically, so should be avoided..

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I feel like a fool when asking but... Another question is that my plugs came with little washers. Every other time I've changed my plugs out, they were already on the plugs and I just had to check their gap and put them in, simple job.

But, what way do these washers go? Does it matter? (These are AC Delco plugs for my SC2 97')

Reply to
HyperCube33

The widest surface goes side down, against the cylinder head. You could get it backwards without complications, though.

-WaV

HyperCube33 wrote:

Reply to
wavy

Awesome, thank you!

Reply to
HyperCube33

I hear ya. I have been using NGK in my 97 SL. I got that info from a couple of online vendors, parts guy at Saturn and was confirmed by some of the gurus on this group. I buy them from a local Advance Auto. They do not have them in stock, but get them in about a day at a good price.. Good luck, MR

Reply to
MR

Has anyone tried ac delco's rapidfires in a saturn 97 sl2???

Reply to
gooch