Finally did the V-6 to V-8 Swap!

Well after much diliberation about a V-6 to V-8 swap in my 1996 GMC C1500, I finally bit the bullet and did it. It was the best decision I have ever made.

I swaped it for a 5.3 in an 05 Silverado 2WD Extend Cab

I figured it would have been too much trouble to do the swap and if by some chance I screwed it up, it would render the truck unusable until I figured it out, or burned it to the ground trying!

I am amazed by the gas mileage!!! It is about 3-4 MPG better than my old V-6...with a whole S***load more power. AND I can chirp the tires like a kid if I wanted. I acutally found that out by accident. Was not used to all the power and tried to drive it like my old truck!

SO with all that said......I'm off to get a spray in bedliner, and some accessory type goodies!!! Anyone know of a good place to get accessories (grill, step bars etc)? And would anyone know if a dual exhaust will effect emissions testing?

Thanks

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

Congrats and Good luck. Enjoy your new truck, guy. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

It can and some modern engines can actually lose low end torque and city MPG with them because the engine is tuned to expect a bit of backpressure for running and emmisions so proceed with caution. A big single would be safer or a one in two out muffler if you want the dual look.

Reply to
SnoMan

"Eightupman" wrote: > Well after much diliberation about a V-6 to V-8 swap in my > 1996 GMC C1500, I > finally bit the bullet and did it. It was the best decision I > have ever > made. > > I swaped it for a 5.3 in an 05 Silverado 2WD Extend Cab > > I figured it would have been too much trouble to do the swap > and if by some > chance I screwed it up, it would render the truck unusable > until I figured > it out, or burned it to the ground trying! > > I am amazed by the gas mileage!!! It is about 3-4 MPG better > than my old > V-6...with a whole S***load more power. AND I can chirp the > tires like a > kid if I wanted. I acutally found that out by accident. Was > not used to > all the power and tried to drive it like my old truck! > > SO with all that said......I'm off to get a spray in bedliner, > and some > accessory type goodies!!! > Anyone know of a good place to get accessories (grill, step > bars etc)? And > would anyone know if a dual exhaust will effect emissions > testing? > > Thanks > > Eightupman

How much was involved in swapping out the engines? I?m contimplating switching out the 4.3 in my 04 c1500 for a 5.3. Can you tell me about what the cost were? I?ve swapped out engines before but only in older cars and jeeps I don?t think i?ll takle this one my self, i?ll probaly pay some one more experianced to do it. when/if i do this still probably wont be for quite a while though - probably later this year around fall/winter. would just like to know what to expect to be paying.

thanks

Reply to
Maack

Perhaps I was not clear. Please forgive me. I bought a NEW 05 with the 5.3 (traded in the 96 with the 4.3) instead of going through the headaches of a swap. I had been asking for info on this board for some time on doing it, but I finally just bought a new one instead.

Reply to
Eightupman