Gas smell at new (to me) 2500

Hi all - I just replaced my old chevy pickup with a less old chevy pickup. It's a 2000 2500 work truck. Runs really well, but I've noticed the smell of gas fumes, usually right after I park it. It doesn't linger very long, but it's pretty strong when I first hop out of the cab. Thoughts on where to start looking for the source? Gasket at the sending unit? Should I start with dropping the tank and looking there, or can you think of other easy places to check out first?

Also, this fuel pump on this truck is particularly noticeable when it primes, and it runs for a second after I turn off the motor... does that sound normal to you?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
AK Critter

Year? Which part of the vehicle is the gas smell strongest? Have you crawled under and checked all the lines for corrosion?

Reply to
Augustus

Oops..saw the year right after I posted this. I get under it with the engine running and check for line corrosion, damage and leaks at all points in the fuel line plumbing.

Reply to
Augustus

Thanks for the reply... I'll get on it (under it) today. It seems strongest just rear of the cab, where the box and cab meet, but it is not coming from the fuel fill. I usually smell it on the driver's side, but that's just where I happen to be. My wife smells it on her side too, when she gets out just after turning off the truck. Will report back.

Reply to
AK Critter