Gas smell from front of car

My 88 GT has a strong gas smell from the front of the car after I shut it off. It runs fine and gets okay gas mileage although it usually stalls when I first start it in the morning. Is this vapor canister issues? I bought a used one that was supposed to be good, but that didn't fix it. Thanks

Reply to
DavidH

check the rubber connecting hoses. I had a L shaped one hose to the canister that discrinagrated with age on a

  1. it is a vaccume leak too
Reply to
Nomen Lapetos

In my case, it was a leaking intake manifold gasket. Yuck.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It's also possible that you have an injector going bad (leaking) look for signs of fuel leaking from the top of the injector's vent hole.

Reply to
Ironrod