what's that smell???

Whenever I get out of my '87 pickup after driving it for awhile there's a strong smell of burning rubber coming from the rear of the truck. It smells like I did a burnout with it but with the icy roads I couldn't if I tried. I can't see anything rubbing on the tires and don't feel anything getting hot along the rear axle. Just curious if anyone's had this problem with their truck or not in the past and what it turned out to be. TIA for any help!

Reply to
Robbo

Is it possible the brakes are dragging and getting hot? Maybe the parking brake is on one click? Carefully feel the wheels and drums after stopping to see if that's it. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
Robbo

Didja check to see of something is perhaps stuck to the exhaust somewhere? Plastic bag, inflatable raft, etc??

Reply to
qslim

Or rubber mounting ring thats come off the bracket? Had that happen and because its the same smell as tyre smoke I thought that I had something caught up under the guard. Very quick fix, hope thats what yours is.

Reply to
Scotty

Possible slipping clutch?

Reply to
toy4ever

Hmm never heard of a rubber clutch..............

Reply to
Scotty