smell of gas coming from 1990 chevy

Hey i got a little issue here. I own a 90? chevy scottsdsle (silverado) and sometimes when i start or turn off the truck i can smell gas coming from the engine. Theres no gas leak, and i don?t think its burning. The smell can range from where you can barely smell it, to holy cow! i think it might be too much gas getting to the carbuerator???? and sometimes when im stopped at a light it seems like it wants to stall, and hesitates. does anyone think the probs are related??

Reply to
chevy999

Just off the top of my head , Had something close to that happin to me ,It was the gas cap that caused all those problems, it even made my check eng.soon light come on.

Reply to
Sheba

Not on an OBD-I computer it didn't.......................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I had a gas smell for a while on my 92 and it turned out to be the fuel lines on the tank sending unit were rusted and moist with fuel. I needed to replace the sending unit, fuel lines. The tank was very rusty so I replace it also while I had it down.

Reply to
Dalesr03

I see that rather often on high milage 88 up trucks. At times I end up having to replace all the fuel lines, as well as the brake lines on them. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig