gm duramax vs. ford powerstroke

Detroit Diesel makes a 4L v6 Diesel, I was thinking about putting that in my Dak. there is not much demand for smaller Diesel cars and trucks. its really a shame.

A quote form my dad, "Diesel should be outlawed! they are loud and they stink!" Good thing he is not a law maker.

Reply to
Trey

he must have been around some of the old 12 valve cummins motors.... we've got one at work.. the thing is so loud you have to shut it off to order at the drive through and the exhaust smells like rotten eggs. it does pull a trailer like crazy though...

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Why not? IIRC, Cummins is owned in large part by GM, and Dodge is already buying engines from them.

If Dodge wanted to buy their diesel engines from another part of the DaimlerChrysler house then they'd be putting Detroit Diesel, or Mercedes engines into their trucks.

I remember reading some time ago that one of the popular things for custom truck builders to do is take a Ford truck body, and put into it a Cummins engine, Allison transmission, and Dana running gear. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to anyone who is doing that.

Either that or a top fuel dragster.

AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo

Hear hear!

I like my S-10, and I don't need any more truck than that!

Hey manufacturers, are you guys listening?

Indeed, if they used something like the 3.9l 4 cylinder engine out of an NPR, or the 3.8l 6 in some of their international products then that'd be optimum.

One thing Gale Banks has done is to put a 5.9l Cummins engine into a Dakota. I'm not sure how practical that might be, but it'd certainly be interesting.

Indeed. When they want to convert Chevies to handicapped vehicles they certainly don't have to install zero effort steering. It's already there. Sometimes it feels like you're driving by remote control. I don't like it either, and I often wonder if there's some way of turning the boost down.

AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo

That's not noise! That's _MUSIC_!

As for stinking, I have mine running on vegetable oil, and it smells like a thousand flaming frying pans.

Since diesels have the lowest brake specific fuel consumption of any prime-mover, and can run on US grown vegetable oil, they should be required rather than outlawed.

AP

Reply to
Alan Petrillo

hmm. so what would it take to start an Importing company for the D-Max???

I have seen the "Sidewinder project" VERY cool truck, Something like 700 HP??? They took that Dak down to the frame and and did a lot of moding to get that Cummins to fit. That truck can also do 200MPH, I really dont think it will ever make bigtime production. But it does prove that you can get awsome performance out of a Diesel.

Would an underdrive pully on the Power stearing pump do the trick? Or maybe mount a giant stearing damper on it.

Reply to
Trey

GM has nothing to do with Cummins... GM used to own 50% of Isuzu (they reduced their share to 10% last year) Cummins' biggest customer is Diamler Chrysler.

You can't buy a GM vehicle of any size with a Cummins in it.... the biggest vehicle GM makes, the C8500 Tandem can either have a Isuzu diesel or a Caterpillar.

You missed my point.....Allison trans are available in DC's medium and heavy duty lines... you can also buy them in Fords, but you'll never see a Allison trans in a non GM LD truck. as GM has invested waaay too much in the advertising of the 1000.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Did you ask him how he expects this country to function if diesels are outlawed? What a moronic statement.

I personally like the smell of a diesel, and the noise... hell it's ALL ABOUT the noise ;-)

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

At his age, I just smile and nod. He knows that America moves on BigRigs. If you think about it, just about everything is moved with a big Diesel truck. He knows this. But just says, "well, they can just figure out a different fuel to use that smells better"

I want to get an old 12v Cummins with a straight exhaust just to piss him off.

Reply to
Trey

Reply to
obob

As far as I am concerned the big three cannot build a long lived reliable engine. Cummins was not a big three engine and thats why it's a good'n. But even the new Cummins have so much big three designed controls on it, that makes it unreliable.

Reply to
obob

Please, please tell us what controls are on the Cummins that were designed by the big three. {This should be good} If possible you could also remind us how unreliable the Cummins is with those controls. And post a link to the information you will spew about the Cummins.

AW

Reply to
Hattmakr

________

Gee, that sure makes sense, that the Big Three just don't know how to do anything and that it takes an independent to do it right. What are all the rest of us missing here?

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Schuon

LOL, the old 12V's are the best.

I had a 1990 Dodge W250 (3/4 ton 4x4) with a 12V Cummins in it, and honestly I cannot tell much difference in it and my friend's 2002 2500

4x4 with 24V Cummins. Both have straightpipe exhaust (he took the cat off his) and they are both just as loud. Mine smoked more, because of the mechanical vs. electronic control. Other than that, no difference other than his has a little more power.

As far as the rotten eggs smell... you're gonna have to explain that one to me. Smells like a normal diesel (ahh... sweet fumes). Not anywhere even CLOSE to what a rotten egg smells like. Maybe his sense of smell is going bad ;-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

hi sulfur diesel causes rotten egg smell. part of why everything is going to low sulfur, maybe?

Reply to
SpaseKase

what did the sulfur do in the first place?

Reply to
Trey

What it did was smell like rotten eggs......... Of course removing it seems to have increased the price of diesel considerably... Kinda like removing the lead from gas, yah know.. Dale P......... 2003 Duramax, Sold the Power Whimp Long ago.....

Reply to
Dale Peterson

I am in fact in the process of ordering a new 2500HD from the local dealer. It is loaded, and will have the new 2004 1/2 Duramax/Allison combo. Scheduled delivery 3rd week of March

BTW. Ford has owned 33% of Cummins for over 15 years. GM has nothing to do with Cummins nor does Dodge. Cummins agree to the sale of their smaller diesel to Dodge prior to full Ford involvement. That plus Ford was already in contract talks with Navistar for the power stroke. I've Been in the business for a long time......

Reply to
Mark Tetrault

I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!

2001, 2500HD, Crew, 6.6 Turbo Duramax, Allison Transmission, 4x4, Auto. It just can't get much better than this.

Rebel48

Rebel48

Cummin's website would disagree with you.. this is from the FAQ section of their website:

Does Ford own Cummins?

No, Ford does not own any part of Cummins Inc.

-Bret

this is the URL:

Bret Chase