good old P1870 code

Good Morning All,

My 96 S10 (2.2L engine, 93K) set a P1870 code yesterday (excessive transmission component slippage).

At first this surprised me because it shifts fine between gears. But as I thought more about it, there is a little shudder at takeoff, something I've never gotten anyone else to notice.

This tranny has always shifted and acted fine whether hot or not, BUT, last night, on the drive home (with the code set), after going up a long hill on the NYS Thruway, she popped out of OD and wouldn't go back in. I made a pit stop at the nearest rest stop to use the facilities, and when I got back on the highway, she shifted fine again.

BTW, just got this truck in August and I have a warranty on this, so my ass is partially covered, except for the tear-down/diagnostic charges.

So these are my assumptions:

1) the code is correct - TCC not locking, excessive slippage 2) go to a tranny shop, anyone else will just try to swap the tranny out 3) swapping tranny is worthless to me, swapping shit for shit

So my questions to the group are, what cost would I be looking at for dropping the pan out and diagnosing the problem? Wild Guess: Is this worth fooling with valve bodies and TCC parts, etc? I'm thinking that it is at this point. Do my assumptions sound valid?

Thanks

PS: Furthermore, any tranny shop recommendations in the Northern Buffalo area are welcomed with great enthusiasm

Reply to
MrHenceThusly