JBL NAV System Inital Screen Question

Is there a way to disable or bypass this screen when the vehicle is started?

This is the initial screen which has you choosing your language and agreeing to not kill yourself or anyone else by fiddling with the nav system while driving.

I can't find anything in the manuals but I'll bet the programmers of this system left some backdoor that will turn off the notification for good.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

This question gets asked a lot, and I've never seen or read of a way to bypass the screen.

Reply to
Ray O

That's the lawyer screen.....

Just like the lawyer screen on my Magellan Meridian GPS.

Lawyers rule our lives.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Thanks Roy,

This is actually the answer I was expecting, however, being a programmer I'm certain that the folks who developed the system left some sort of backdoor to do things like disable the annoyance screen. If for any other reason, just to make development and testing faster. I'd bet there's a hidden configuration screen that's activated by a sequence of button pushes, or by holding a button or two down while turning on the system.

That being said, if the questions is often asked and no one has found a solution it's very possible that the interface isn't exposed.

On the other hand I just did a quick google search and found this:

And I found this

Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Interesting... I also would like to get the "I agree" screen to go away but I'm not sure I want to spend over $200 to do it. You didn't ask, but there is a service/diagnostic mode to allow the passenger to input destinations while the vehicle is in motion, but I don't think it bypasses the "I agree" screen.

To override Lexus and Toyota touch screens NAV in motion ('06 and earlier)-go to the screen that has the volume button (Menu). Push the upper left, then lower left each 2x-this will get you to a service screen. Then select the "override" button (hold for several seconds). Then select the back button. Now your passenger will be able to enter destinations or searches.

Reply to
Ray O

Very cool Roy, thanks. I could have used the unlocked destination tip earlier today. :-)

As to the I agree, there's actually a $99 solution linked in my last post as well.

Plus I was just reading this page,

where you can purchase the new 2007 Nav system to replace your current system. It adds, XM, Bluetooth, ipod, backup camera (not included in my Sequoia), and more. Its just a cool $1700 bucks.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm confused on the override method.

I hit menu and I get 4 big buttons, volume being one of them, however I don't understand what left most buttons to push 2x.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Our Sequoia is a 2003; nav and backup camera were not available at that time. Since the back end is about a mile away from the driver and the driver sits so high, it is difficult to judge how much room is behind when backing. A backup sensor and/or camera would be nice. My wife is map-challenged so she would like the nav feature. I have the nav and backup sensor in my LS, but I don't know that I would be willing to lay out $1700 for an upgrade to the Sequoia.

Reply to
Ray O

Figured it out.

Thanks,

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

I'd be interested inthe Bluetooth and IPod connectivity and, yes, compared to my 93 Trooper, looking out the back window gives me a huge feeling of tunnel vision so a backup camera would be nice. But its certainly not worth $1700.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

You're welcome!

Reply to