Hard starting when warm/hot engine...please please help

I have a 1977 GMC K2500 with a 305, 4 barrel, Edelbrock carb (new). I recently had to replace the starter and solenoid. It will start up great when cold/sitting. But after driving around and then allowing it to sit for 10-40 min, I come back and it cranks and cranks and cranks (cranks strong though), but just doesnt catch/fire up. This started when I replaced the starter and solenoid, I recently put a heat shield wrap around the starter/solenoid and that didnt help.

Could I need a carb heat insulator (raises the carb up a bit)? What else should I check?

Please let me know of what else could be the problem, thank you

Reply to
Adam

Next time hold the gas flat on the floor, just put your foot on it and don't let up. Then crank it and see what happens. Let us know.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Okay - I did that and it seemed to start much faster. Does this mean i got a vapor lock problem?

Reply to
Adam

No, vapor lock is when you can't get it to pump fuel because the fuel in the lines is so hot it's vaporized. What's probably happening on yours is that when it's parked and hot the fuel in the carb is evaporating (or leaking out) and flooding the intake system with fuel vapor. As soon as you crank it the bowl fills with more fuel and that also gets added to the intake and you wind up with so much fuel that it's too rich to fire (basically it's flooded). So putting the pedal to the floor is the first thing to try on a flooded engine to allow as much air as possible in to lean out the mixture. I started having the very same problem just today on my 64 T-bird. Also, it's possible that the gas we are running on is the tail end of the "winter" gas, which has higher volatility. Now that it's getting hot, this winter gas will evaporate faster from a hot carb making the problem worse. Your next tank of gas may make the problem a lot less.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher