HP arguement

94 suburban 1500. How much HP did the 350 make at the crank? I have been told 210 and 260, which is it?
Reply to
smoove

260 BHP IIRC. The 305 was 210 BHP.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

How much added HP could I get out of a decent cam?

Why do they call it Brake Horse Power (BHP)?

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
smoove

I am looking at a 1994 Suburban sales brochure. It states SAE Net HP = 200 @

4000rpm and 310 lbs torque@ 2400. It is a 5.7EFI. It is the standard and only engine available for the C or K 1500. I don't know where to look up the crank HP.
Reply to
calhoun

They call it brake horsepower because it is determined by testing the engine on a Prony brake ( actually it's modern equivalent, an engine dynamometer). Prony invented his brake to test the power output of steam engines in the early 1800's. It actually measured torque, but horsepower is easily calculated from torque and RPM. See

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

The right cam could add upwards of 75hp or more in my case, depends on how many other mods you make to the engine.

350cid engines enjoy 108-110 lobe separation angles and around 230 degrees duration at .050" valve lift with a hydraulic lifter and around 240 degrees duration at .050" valve lift with a solid lifter. Valve lift with either of cams will be over .490" so a spring, cup,retainer and keeper change is in order. open spring pressure has to be at least 300psi or valve float will occur at high rpm. The new cam in my engine has 230/236@.050", 274/286 advertised, .490/.496" lift on 110 degree lobe centers. I am running a dual pattern cam mainly because i need more exhaust scavenging when the Nitrous is burning so the intake charge is not contaminated. single pattern cams produce more low end torque but suffer at the top.
Reply to
Mad Dog