MGB GT How much HP possible? Air conditioning?

Hi,

My mechanic and I are remanufacturing a left-hand drive US sold 1967 MGB GT. You guys don't get this one back :-)

We will stay with 4 cylinders. He thinks if we go to 2 liters, we can generate an honest 85 to 90 HP at the rear wheels on 91 octane unleaded. I want to be able to keep up with Porcshe 356s and 912s at least.

Opinions? Should I consider a supercharger add-on as well? I like speed and quickness. We will be upgrading the suspension as well.

Also, reduction of HP ignored, are there any good air conditioning units available for the MGB GT which fit cleanly and won't make the ozone hole reach the Northern Hemisphere?

We are in Southern California and it gets really hot here about 6 months of the year.

Opinions and experience sought.

Sincerely,

Jim Klein

Reply to
West Coast Engineering

There were several "stages" of racing tune back in the day, and, IIRC, the B series block was capable of a lot more than 90 hp! I don't have the specs for the stages, but I'm sure someone here can help.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

The is a very simple rule of thumb.

Speed costs money.

Next comes a very simple question.

How fast do you want to go?

What about a stage 2 gas flow head? Get rid of the SUs and fit Webbers, a new exhaust including manifold manifold. Replacement air filters so it breath properly.

Then there are the engine internals. New cams? New pistons?

What you need to do is throw loads and loads of money at then you can have the car of your dreams.

Good luck with the project and keep us informed as to what you end up doing.

Reply to
Nick Mason

E-mail mailto: snipped-for-privacy@moss-europe.co.uk and ask them for a MGB catalogue.

I don't actually have a copy, but the similar catalogue I got for my Spitfire goes into lots of detail on the tuning possibilities.

Reply to
Doug