Help! can't get tire off

I over tighten the front aluminum mag wheel on my 1991 toyota 4-runner and can't get it off. I never seen one this bad. I have been hitting the inside with a rubber mallet as well as shakking it from side to side. It still won't budge.

Reply to
Joe

Could it be you cross-threaded the lug(s)? You could try a cheater bar/breaker bar, put a piece of pipe over the tire tool or ratchet to lengthen the handle and provide better leverage.... but be careful there, you could find yourself buying a new socket or replacing a lug. Might see if anyone has an impact wrench you could borrow to remove the nut(s) but if it is cross threaded you'll probably have to replace it anyway. Not too hard to do with some ingenuity.

BTW are they aluminum wheels or mag(nesium) wheels? ;)

Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Not to sound insulting or anything but... you *do* have it up on a jack, right? Sometimes folks post and the solution is so simple and obvious, they didn't think of it. [grin] Have you tried some lubricant to loosen it up? Like some WD-40? Not sure what else to tell you, I've never had a wheel not want to come off. Usually mine come off so easy I drop 'em on my foot and let out a string of profanities. ;) Maybe a local small garage would be willing to help loosen it for a small charge or for some good word-of-mouth advertising. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

Something does sound strange. Are they aftermarket wheels? COuld be they are too small and are touching the caliper... if so you have other problems.. thats no good. Never heard of a wheel not coming off when all the lugs are removed...

Reply to
Jason

Put the lug nuts back on loosely, drive slowly, turn frequently, go over some bumps very slowly, keep an eye on the wheel...it'll come loose. Before you put all the wheels back on, clean the hub/wheel contact area with a wirebrush.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I take it you can remove the lug nuts. The aluminum wheel has corroded to the iron brake hub. This is common. Now with the lug nuts loosened a turn or two and the truck still on the ground go forward and stop quickly. Go back and stop quick ly. Now jack it up and the wheel should be loose from the hub.

Reply to
Im Right

Reply to
rocky

You guys are great. I never in 30 years seen a wheel that wouldn't come off until now. Well, I sprayed the hub with wd40 and let it soaked and then spayed it again. Then I put the lug nuts on hand tight and driove it around a little. After some more shakking it finally came off. Thannnnnnnnnks........Joe

Reply to
Joe