Intermittant front end "clunk"

You should be able to figure out exactlywhat i'm talking about from the message right?

hehe... Here's the truck.... 1998 GMC 1500 Sierra, Club Coupe, 5.0L Automatic. 54k miles (yes those are low miles for this age truck) Been haveing a random metallic "clunk" from time to time going over speed bumps, going through dips etc. More common at slower speeds than higher speeds. Have replaced brake pads, have replaced shocks (they were well past their prime, could easilly compress and extend by hand). Niether of which resolved the clunk. Everything i've tried to wiggle is snug, did tighten a bolt on the steering gear that was loose, all else is snug. Can't exactly crawl under the truck while it goes over a speedbump to see whats flexin more than it needs to, or what is moving that should not move at all... Its more or less on the passenger side of the truck, have checked A-arms and all that good stuff, both on ground, and with vehicle jacked. Are there any common areas that could be doing this? Any ideas on what I can check? So far I'm not leaving parts behind, but don't want to get it all knackered up under there either by repeated impacts.

Reply to
nooneimportant

bad rear transmission mount ?

exhaust mount broke and exhaust hitting frame ?

motor mount ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Mine did this. Turned out to be a missing "coil spring isolator pad" on the passenger side. I may have the terminology wrong, but I am referring to what looks like a plastic or nylon pad that fits between the coil spring and the coil spring pad or mount. Of course, it could also be something else. Steve

Reply to
sf/gf

Check the two brackets that hold the front anti-sway bar to the frame members. Not the end links on the sway bar, but the U-brackets that hold the sway bar to the frame - each should have two bolts and a rubber piece under the bracket that the bar passes through. On my wife's old Blazer, one of the bolts had gotten loose but you couldn't tell until you took a wrench to each bolt head and turned it.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Reply to