'95 LHS front-end clunk

I'm lost with fwd cars - none of the parts are in the right place! any advice or opinions welcome:

on a '95 Chrysler LHS.....nice car, 110,000 miles, in great shape (should be with all the new parts on it).....

has a CLUNK when the wheel is cranked full left (going forward) or right (going backwards).......sounds to be in drivers side suspension.....a loud clunk that reverberates thru the body.....has almost a springie twang to it.....driver can feel it in the floor.

when it started, my garage said Balljoints, which were replaced......no change

then they decided it was sway bar bushings.....replaced them.....no change

then they said this was a common problem.....Chrysler has a steering gear bushing kit......replaced......made it worse.

so now, 2 dealers have 2 guesses:

it's the strut seats......replace the struts and they'll come with new rubber seats.....problem solved.

dealer 2 sez it's the power steering valve sticking....that its in the rack & pinion housing.....no repairs available.....entire assembly must be replaced.....part costs $1400+ and since the steering gear is mounted on the firewall behind the engine, the labor will be plenty.

so....2 very costly theories on top of plenty that's already been spent.

comments?

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Take a look at the lower control arms and see if you can see where the bushings are sliding on the arm. Also make sure that recall 837 was performed on your vehicle.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

If you feel it under the shifter console when parking it is probably the rear transmission mount.

Reply to
Art

The only common point in left forward and right backward is that there is force pulling the suspension left. When that happens, there is something moving. It could be one of the 4 engine cradle mounts (check those rubber biscuits) or I agree it could be the lower control arm moving. It seems to be a problem on mine. I'm not too sure about the rear transmission mount, but that's something you can easily look at and come to a conclusion absolutely free.

I think some of the mechanics suggested things that don't make sense. Like the ball joints. That doesn't make sense. But then again, I've got two LHS's, and they've always clunked ever since I had them. First thing in the morning, just like clockwork. I don't care. So that's the kind of person I am. my advice might be worse than those mechanics, but it sure is a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Joe

Joe, If the rear trans mount is shot the trans willlift and slam down on the mount as you put it in reverse and take off. It is very noticeable if this occurs.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Before it reaches that state, you might notice it parking on an incline as you shift forward/reverse. May not happen on level ground initially in my experience.

Reply to
Art

thanks for the good ideas guys.......printed them out and will give them to my shop.....the Quest goes on!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Reply to
philthy

I would look at the CV joint. I have a 99 LHS and have replaced the struts, tie rods and bushings in the rack and P attachment to the tie rods. I then had a clunk like what you describe happen. I rechecked the tie rod to R and P and it was OK, I then realized it was the CV joint. I have a new one ready to go in now. dave

Reply to
liteflyer 1