Rear end clunk

I have a 86 Jeep J-10 with only 44,000 miles . It's had clunk in the rear diff. ever since I got it new but I didn't think the "mechanics" at the dealer were capable of fixing it and I didn't have time to take it elsewhere so I lived with it. They did replace the axles. I finally had a reputable drive-line shop look at it and they said there was nothing wrong with the ring & pinion and that they all have some clunk. It's an AMC 20 and I've put in an Eazy-locker which added a little more but I expected that. U-joints are fine. The slop seems to be from the wheel to the pinion gear. This should be a no-brainer but dealers or

4x4 shops have no ideas. Has anyone had this experience and found the cause? I can hardly believe the clunk is normal. It happens from drive to reverse & back. It's OK when it shifts under power. ..... Thanks for any comments..
Reply to
jerrybo66

My 97 Cherokee does the same thing. I don't especially baby it and it's never gotten worse over the course of 80k so I don't worry about it at this point.

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

Reply to
philthy