Keyoff current flow 97 GMC

I have a 97 GMC 1500 with factory radio / CD player. Today my battery died. Prior to this for some time now I head a noise which resembles a fan or blower running under the dash panel. So after fooling with thew alternator today, I started to lok for the noise. It was pulling current and made quite a large spash when the battery terminal was connected. I pulled all fuses and relays until it stopped, and its on the one radio circuuit. I have two fuses marked: RADIO RADIO BATTERY

When I pull the RADIO BAT fuse, the noise stops, and also kills radio and clock and CD player........SO what is in there that can be running? I do not recall it doing this when I first got this truck? Is there a cooling fan for the radio and clock? I would not think so , but one can never tell with todays vehicles. ANy info or help is greatly appreciated as to what I need to look for on this circuit that is pulling down the battery and making the noise.

Regards

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy~

Does it have an auto antenna? Never seen one stock on a pick-up but......

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Nope no power antennae........It sort of sounds like a fan running or maybe the CD player going, even though it has no disc in it........

I menti>===

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy~

It is your radio. The radio has a fan for cooling itself. It makes alot of noise actually and mine seems to kick on periodically for noparticular reason (e.g. its not really hot but it comes on anyway). I heardthis for a long time and then had to take my radio out for some repairs and discovered thefan.

Reply to
Forest Hursey

Thanks for the info.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy~

I don't knnow what it is "supposed" to do, but mine does run at times with the key out, but only after I have already been operating my vehicle. I am sure there is a temperature sensor in the radio that detects conditions that could be detrimental to the overall health of your radio. Perhaps in your case the temperature sensor or logic is not functioning properly.

Does this happen only after you have been running your vehicle ... and does it eventually turn off?

Reply to
Forest Hursey

Does this happen only after you have been running your vehicle ... and does it eventually turn off?

itself. It makes

for

anyway). I heardthis

repairs and

is that a

out?

Reply to
Boots

I pulled the dash and radio this morning and found a small 1" muffin fan is mounted to the radio chassis. It had a lot of accumulated dust etc built up around it, and I cleaned it all up, and its somehwat more quiet now, but still considerably noisy, so I suspect th bearings in the motor of the muffin fan are dry. I did not try and remove the fan, as there is not much one will be able to do in regards to relubing these fanbs, but I would think GM would have a limit switch in there somewhere to cut it off when temps are low........So now my question is does anyone now if they just run 24/7 or do they have a heat sensor limit switch in the circuit....

Fan data plate shows it draws a 0.10 amps, so it would take a considerably long time to draw down a battery, but its still doable if a vehicle is not used all that often.

No wonder it seems the truck is falling apart so early, 99% of everything in and around the dash panel comes out without the use of tools, so there is really no real structural or any other type of integrity there.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy~

I installed some two way radios in my 97 S-10 2 door blazer. I was very disapointed, that to get the trim, dash, glove box, etc., out, to do the install... all that was required, were my bare hands.

On the other hand, it doesn't rattle too much, at 122k on the clock.

As noted before, but while we're talking reliability / miles:

45k Alternator 56k Water Pump 80k Transmission, A/C compressor, wiper control module 101k Fule pump (in tank, just out of warranty, OUCH)

So..it's been OK, but I'm far from certain another GM is in my future. A non-US vehicle would cost more initially, but probably not require some of the repairs I have had to do, so it would probably work out as far as total costs.

Reply to
Merlin

Well, at 130K a friend of mine's 94 Toyota 4 runner needs the AC redone (black death. He's gotten estimates of $2100 and $3000.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher