Radio cooling fan

The cooling fan on mthe factory installed radio has been the source of the irritating whine I have been hearing. Truck is a 1997 1500 GMC. There is a small 1" square by about 3/8" thick muffin style fan fastened to the radio chassis. I talked to the GMC dealership and all they would say is bring the truck in and they will handle it, most likely by pulling the radio and having their repair shop replace the fan. I can easily replace the fan and pull the radio if I could only find a fan....Anyone have a source of these small muffin fans..........any of the 1" square fans I have found are all 5 VDC, and I need a 12 VDC.........

I may just cut in a small toggle switch to shut it off when not in use, as its making such a fuss now its a pain to set in the truck without having the radio going to drown out ther sound of the fan.

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy~

take the fan off, peel the sticker off of it then put a drop of oil on the shaft, run it a bit to spash any extra off ten put back on.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

"~Roy~" wrote: "The cooling fan on mthe factory installed radio has been the source of the irritating whine I have been hearing. Truck is a 1997 1500 GMC. There is a small 1" square by about 3/8" thick muffin style fan fastened to the radio chassis. I talked to the GMC dealership and all they would say is bring the truck in and they will handle it, most likely by pulling the radio and having their repair shop replace the fan. I can easily replace the fan and pull the radio if I could only find a fan....Anyone have a source of these small muffin fans..........any of the 1" square fans I have found are all 5 VDC, and I need a 12 VDC........."

What you looking for is a 25 X 25 X 10 mm fan in 12 VDC. Try searching for

25mm fans and you might find what you are looking for. It may be helpful if you know what the power draw is on the fan.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

I just now got finished doing exactly that....Its not quite as noisey but still quite noticeable. I also cut in a mico miniature switch out of sight on the lower portion of the dash board skirt so now I can at least cut it off.

Power draw >===~Roy~ wrote:

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder" ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy~

Reply to
shields

How terrible would it be to just disconnect the fan if its annoying you? Kill the fan.

Reply to
No

Already installed a switch and just found a replacement fan that I installed so my problem is over. I do not think I would operate the radio etc without the fan, as it has little to no ventilation the way its mounted in that dashboard and odds are it would overheat.......Vehicles made today just do not have all that open area up under a dash panel anymore, with lots of free open space for ventilation.