Knocking comeing from torque converter or flywheel?

I blew up my transmission im my 1987 silverado and i swapped it out with a different transmission and torque converter. and it moves fine and everything but theres a LOUD knocking coming from the flywheel/ bellhousing/area i dont know what the hell it is any suggestions???? and it has fluid in it and the torque converter bolts are really tight and i didnt remove the flywheel so its not that and i also inspected the flywheel for cracks any one know whats going on???

Reply to
pimp696970

Maybe you should try unbolting the torque converter and sliding it back. Then start the engine and see if the noise is still there (only leave it run long enough to listen for noise), if it is you have a cracked flywheel or a motor going south. One time on a motor I put in I had a similar problem and found out the inspection cover was hitting the crankshaft counterweight. Do you have the inspection cover on? Does the noise definately sound like it is coming from that area?

Reply to
Doug Adams

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The OP .....STATES.......the flywheel IS GOOD!!

So, what Doug said.........ditto.......pull the dust cover off and see if the noise goes away first, then unbolt the converter and shove it back. First 2 tests to perform.

If the noise is still there after removing the dust cover, WHEN you unbolt the converter, pay attention to HOW MUCH space you have between the flywheel and the converter mounting pads AFTER you push the converter back. (IF you can push it back!!) You shouldn't have more than 1/4 inch space between the converter mounting pads and the flywheel. If there's anymore than that, then use equal amounts of flat washers on EACH bolt to shim BETWEEN the flywheel and the converter mounting pads. The converter "could" be pulling too far out of the pump causing the noise. I doubt it, but possible.

You likely either busted the front pump installing the trans, or have the dust cover bent, which is now hitting the converter bolts.

Let's hope fer duh later aye........

:)

~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a sip of his shroomjuice~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

well the dust cover was never reinstalled yet i wanted to make sure it ran good first seemed like a waste to put that on if it wasnt gunna run so thats not the problem i thought about moving the tranny back myself but i dont have very much free time i think i am going to do that this weekend though i just wanted to explore all my options before i went and redrooped the tranny for spark knock or something it deffinetly sounds like i dropped a bolt in my torque converter or something..... is that a possibility and also too i forgot to fill the converter up with fluid before i installed it will that do it???? it had a little bit in it not much though.... thanks for all the help guys

Reply to
pimp696970

Remove all the Sparkplugs, Thank you can turn the Fly wheel By Hand real easy and listen for the Knock. Also Is the Starter Bendix Kicking out ?

Reply to
tom

.

naw it only comes out wen it needs too.. i dont know i honestly think its something with the torque converter...... im really getting mad at it i cant figure this stupid thing out!!

Reply to
pimp696970

Is it a kind of quiet knock? Almost a tick? Does it change when in (n) compaired to (d) or (r)? Did you pull the dist cap before dropping trans? Check around fan too. Also, any sound at the crank can "travel" front to back and vice versa.

Reply to
ScottM

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Pimp........ I refer you back to my original reply.

Unbolt the converter.....shove it back, crank it up, see if the noise is still there.

If the noise is gone, see if you have TOO MUCH gap between the flywheel and the converter. More than 1/4 inch could cause the pump gears to knock if the converter is pulled out too far from the pump. But....the most likely cause, IF the noise is gone when shoving the converter back, IS......you crushed the pump when installing the tranny into the vehicle because of NOT having the converter pushed back into the pump all the way before bolting the tranny up. Anywhoooo.....from experience, that's the most likely cause of a knock noise when a DIY'r installs a tranny and the flywheel IS good, AND........the noise WAS NOT there before the repair.

~:~ MarshMonster ~drops a shroom in his eggnog~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

so i did that and its not the torque converter or the flywheel i completly changed my flywheel and everything and had no luck..... then i tried to see if maybe it was something with the starter nope no luck there either then i thought maybe it could be from the distributor getting crushed on the firewall on accident when i took the trans out replaced cap/rotor no luck there either i checked the oil pan for dents no dents (oil pick up).i checked my fan blades nothing is hitting there either. checked my drivebelts they are all fine and dandy. (transmssion is complety out by the way and its still knocking) could it be a bad bearing??? if so will a compression test diagnose it if not what will diagnose a bad motor bearing or bent rod etc....???) thanks for all the help

Reply to
pimp696970

so i did that and its not the torque converter or the flywheel i completly changed my flywheel and everything and had no luck..... then i tried to see if maybe it was something with the starter nope no luck there either then i thought maybe it could be from the distributor getting crushed on the firewall on accident when i took the trans out replaced cap/rotor no luck there either i checked the oil pan for dents no dents (oil pick up).i checked my fan blades nothing is hitting there either. checked my drivebelts they are all fine and dandy. (transmssion is complety out by the way and its still knocking) could it be a bad bearing??? if so will a compression test diagnose it if not what will diagnose a bad motor bearing or bent rod etc....???) thanks for all the help

Reply to
Whitelightning

so i did that and its not the torque converter or the flywheel i completly changed my flywheel and everything and had no luck..... then i tried to see if maybe it was something with the starter nope no luck there either then i thought maybe it could be from the distributor getting crushed on the firewall on accident when i took the trans out replaced cap/rotor no luck there either i checked the oil pan for dents no dents (oil pick up).i checked my fan blades nothing is hitting there either. checked my drivebelts they are all fine and dandy. (transmssion is complety out by the way and its still knocking) could it be a bad bearing??? if so will a compression test diagnose it if not what will diagnose a bad motor bearing or bent rod etc....???) thanks for all the help

Bearings can be checked in frame by removing oil pan and using plastigauge. Bent rod by disassembly only. Is it a "rythmatic" knocking, like a steady beat, or for lack of better word does the tempo change all by its self ie not increasing rpm or anything. You can check the thrust bearing with out removing anything except the bottom pulley. You need a ball joint gauge Mount the ball joint gage so that "plunger" is lightly against the face of the harmonic balancer the pry the crank foreward as far as it will go (this does not mean go king kong on it) zero the gauge and then pry the crank to the rear and take your reading. Gauge needs to be as close as possible to right angles to the face of the balancer. Compression test will only tell you the condition of the rings and valves. How long has engine been sitting? have you checked valve lash looking for a collapsed lifter?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

the knock is really ierd sometimes it quits all on its own but if i push the throttle it speeds up like idle is ticka....ticka.....ticka with the throttle its more erattic like ticka ticka ticka ticka i dont know its really wierd....... no the engine hasny beens itting though i was driving it to and from work/school everyday... and it ran just fine..... sometimes it would make that wierd noise then go away i forgot tomention that part though but thats when the other transmission was in it...... so i dont know no i have not checked my lifters or valves....

Reply to
pimp696970

thmatic" knocking,

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Is it a ticka..ticka..ticka......or a knocka ..knocka..knocka ??

anywhooo..... ck the harmonic balancer, also do what Lightn'n said...ck the crank endplay....see if it has "major" movement.

untill then........GL ~:~ marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thats a rather important part you forgot to mention. All of your posts talk about after the tranny and things like did I possibly drop a bolt in the torque convertor when I replaced the tranny. along with others here wondering if you installed the torque convertor incorrectly and as such bust the front pump internals, when all along the noise was there before any repairs were made.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

i had a similar noise on a chev 350 that would only happen on throttle up and not on idle, the timming chain was stretching just enought to contact the bottom of the timming cover...was an easy fix.

i had a similar sound comming from a 86 cutlass with a 3.8, the timming chain let go...after much BS replacing the chain, i didn't get all the shrapnel from the chain out and it cause a block on one of the lifters, every once and a while it got enought oil to go quiet....was another easy fix, i got rid of the POS!!!

Phil

Reply to
fill_eh

Does this truck have throttle body injection?

Reply to
Battleax

just a thought could it be a ex leak ,a small one,they do sound strange on diff parts of the ex

Reply to
Jeff Guenther

yea its tbi i dont understand what you mean by ex leak though?? external leak? could you explain it a little better please thanks for the help

Reply to
pimp696970

Probably meant exhaust leak. They can sound like rattles and be tough to locate.

When I was thinking about trading our Suburban, one bonehead "ex-mechanic" listened to my Suburban when it had a leak at the donut at the tail of the manifold into the "Y" and thought there was a problem with the transmission rattling! I just had not gotten around to fixing it to that point. From underneath, you could even feel the exhaust puffing at the joint. Amazing that after I spent a little time the next Saturday replacing the donut and snugging it all back up it was as quiet as new again! Never bothered to run it past him to prove my point and am still driving it...... I know what I have sitting there and decided it just wasn't worth changing right now.

yea its tbi i dont understand what you mean by ex leak though?? external leak? could you explain it a little better please thanks for the help

Reply to
Kevin

sorry about that ,but i ment exhaust leak ,,on chevys they are hard to find if they are a small one,,take a quart of oil and drip it in the intake wile at idle,,dont kill it,,you will see the smoke come out of the exhaust leak if you have one

Reply to
Jeff Guenther