Looking for some parts...

I'm looking to pick up a 1992 G30 1 Ton Van 5.7L (I think it's the SportVan, it has the Beauville label on the dash if anyone can confirm) but it needs a carpet kit (old carpet got nasty and was removed) and needs the middle seat.

I don't think I can go thru the local Chevy dealer for these (well, maybe the carpet?), though I haven't asked yet. Is there a place to go to in the Bay Area?

Van has 177k, recently tuned up, new shocks, tires, and from what I can tell runs pretty smooth. Engine has the worn feel due to mileage, but it's still strong, tranny shifts smooth w/no lag and the exterior is in fair condition (no peeling paint, with a few unconcernable rust spots)

Never owned a Chevy, let along full size van. Any helpful hints on this model?

TIA

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

Rust on the rocker panels, door bottoms is VERY common, repair panels are available and not expensive. The rear barn door hinges are a poor design, you WILL have trouble with them, they can be repaired easily or replaced. The front idler arms and tie rod ends tend to wear out in 50K or so, again not hard to replace. They wallow some in the wind. The engine is not hard to service if you do it from inside the van by taking the doghouse off.

Carpet wise it would be easier to do what the conversion van builders do, Use a couple of sheets of plywood to make a smooth floor and glue indoor/outdoor carpet to it. The seats depends on which mounting system you have, some were just bolted in, others used brackets in the floor and locked the seats into them. If you have the bolt down type they are easily found in salvage yards. You need to decide what type of seat you want, then just bolt them in.

Reply to
Steve W.