Lopsided S10????

Folks - just bout a '98 S10, 108,000 miles - get it home was cleaning it up and noticed that the driver side, front and rear, sits about 1.5 inches lower than the passenger side!!! Original owner (1 owner vehicle) I bought it from was not that big of a guy - never been wrecked. What gives? I know I haven't given a lot to go on.

Thanks! Rick

Reply to
Not by choice

Dan Calhoun

If you bother to check the diagrams of the struck you will see that the engine is offset slightly to the right to balance out the weight of everything on the left side, so its not as poorly designed as you think.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Seems to me the ford ranger is the same way, F-Series, the Chevy full size pickup, the dodge dakota, the dodge full size, and the Nissan and Toyota trucks, all have the driver the fuel tank and the steering column on the same side.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Would be funny to see the driver on one side and the steering column on the other. LOL...

Reply to
Mike Levy

4wd?
Reply to
SBlackfoot

My Toyota 4x4 had the gas tank on the right side. The 2 wheel drives did too. The S10 lean is a well known deal, go to S-Trucks.org the forums talk about it. Chevy didn't increase the the spring rate on the left front, as do other manufacturers.

Reply to
Dan Calhoun

If you look on toyota's web site, as I did a few ago, at the images of the trucks, I saw filler doors on the left side, not the right side of the trucks. . And I have never seen a left spring and a right spring, and I have changed more than I prefer to remember. Now then in the case of torsion bar suspension one could place more tension on one than the other. I am not doubting nor saying there isn't lean, its there on the newer models, just the reasoning presented for it.. My own belief is its caused by too soft a spring rate all around in order to get that nice cushy ride so many want. It should be further stated those complaining about the ride never ever intend to use their truck as anything but an over sized sedan. I am loving the high price of fuel right now as it relates to drops in truck sales. Maybe trucks will get back to being trucks again, instead of over sized sedans.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I noticed one day that my 94 Sonoma was sitting a little low on the drivers side. I thought it was "normal" for the truck too till it started squeaking in the rear. I took a look and found a broken leaf on the left side. It sits pretty level now.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Is it a 4x4? If so, you can adjust (and it should be done anyway) the ride height at the front by adjusting the torsion bars. I've run into many 4x4 S/T trucks that lean one way or the other, and it can be fixed easily by adjusting the trim height. This should be done first, and then you will need an alignment. Do not believe anyone who says that you can make adjustments to the torsion bar trim heights without needing an alignment afterwards.

If it's a 2 wheel drive, your options are limited as there is no provision for adjusting the front end, other then putting some sort of different sized seat under the low side spring.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yes my S10 is a 2 WD - Thanks for the information you all have provided........

Rick

Reply to
Not by choice

I had an 03 Sierra 2wd with the same problem. Brougth it to the dealer and was told it was normal!!??? This was to compensate for the slant in the road (What??!!) I asked him what happens if I pass another vehicle on the other side of the road, will my mirrors rub on the ground. Piss poor answer for GM, the fix was to add a spacer to the front spring. I took it to another deal and was told that all 2wd are that way. Wow, I'm impressed.

"Not by choice" a écrit dans le message de news: 5iA2f.19188$3w.9981@trnddc07...

Reply to
Marc Tremblay

That's GM favorite line. Normal. Been told that 3 times. They are going to get there due. :)

Reply to
Kevin

Ha. When you buy your next GM vehicle.

Sorry, couldn't resist.