more legroom

I realized yesterday that the passenger seat in my '98 318ti provides more rearward travel than the driver's seat. I bought the car second hand in February and the dealer told me it was a one-owner and the owner was a woman. I am considerably taller than most women.

I looked at the seat rails on the driver side and I see two bolts protruding up through the rails about two inches from the nut that secures the rails at the rear. There are no such bolts on the passenger side. They look to me to be there for the purpose of limiting rearward travel by about two inches.

I'm not very adept and I'm not very adventurous, but I can't imagine that removing the seat and its rails and unscrewing these two bolts would cause any harm (They are screwed in from the underside of the rails.). But then I usually fail to anticipate problems in even simple jobs.

Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Fritz Wagner

Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
Fritz Wagner

I have a 95 325i and the rails on both seats are exactly the same and the seats move the same distance. I don't even remember holes in the rails (I took the seats off myself but that was some time ago), you shouldn't cause any problems by removing those bolts. Although it is only an opinion and I do not know the full extent of the condition of your seat. good luck though with whatever you do.

Reply to
andrey.ivannikov

Thanks for the encouragement! All turned out well but I needed some help.

I removed the four nuts that held the seat rails but when I went to lift out the seat, it woudn't move very far. I looked under and saw this confusing array of wires and finally remembered the seat is electrically heated. So rather than figure out all the connectors I worked with the seat raised up only in back. The two bolts were torx heads so I borrowed my neighbor and his torx drivers and got them out that way. His reward was to drive the car for 45 minutes! He also said I have a warped rotor in the front. But that is another story.

Fritz Wagner

Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
Fritz Wagner

No problem. Glad it all worked out for you, enjoy the car.

Reply to
andrey.ivannikov

Here's a footnote.

I wouldn't normally call the BMW service pe>No problem. Glad it all worked out for you, enjoy the car.

Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
Fritz Wagner

Why shouldn't you? You are entitled to know what you want about your car, no?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Yup, I noticed that too about the ramping. If you look at how the seat connects to the tracks in the back, you will realize why. Hope everything works out for you.

Reply to
andrey.ivannikov