M4Me or M4Mc?

Me again.

Having resolved many of the issues discussed in previous posts (many thanks to the helpful postees of ATC), it has come to pass that my carb is giving me trouble.

The truck, as a reminder, is an 86 1/2 ton, with a 350 from a 79 3/4 ton driving it. It seems that the choke coil is intermittently engaging the choke. I'm told that short of a rebuild, it's not possible to fix this. I am of modest skills mechanically, certainly unable to confirm the diagnosis. Is it possible to fix it (ie: myself), where would I get parts? My interest lies in obtaining the carb that will offer me the best efficiency. Should I be looking at a M4Me or M4Mc? What's the difference? (I know that one has a heat-actuated choke and one has an electrical choke) What's the difference in performance?

Is there an aftermarket carb that anyone can recommend for fuel economy that can beat a factory carb? I'm not interested in tearing up the strip.

Reply to
Dixons, The

Others may certainly disagree, but after screwing with my carb off and on for the past couple of years, I've come a couple of conclusions.

1) Unless screwing with carbs is your favorite pasttime, then replace it. a. The engineers that built the truck designed for it to be driven on the street. b. Buy the carb from a company that understands your application and will sell you the appropriate model. Preferably something close to stock, like say, a Quadrajet. c. Don't buy anything that can be remotely described as a "performance" upgrade. It's the quickest way to throw off the balance of the components in your engine.

2) Fuel injection, when properly set up, will probably mean much less trouble :-)

Regarding electric vs. hot air chokes, I don't think you'll notice a difference in performance. The carb needs a choke, regardless...you're just deciding between which type. To me, the electric is easier, but it really doesn't matter. The big question is, what does the truck have on it now?

I didn't answer your specific question of which Quadrajet to get, but I'm not 100% sure myself. Hope this helps some though.

~jp

Dix> Me again.

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens