manual choke 1967-8 quadrajet. White lightning

Ok I have a rebuilt quadrajet (7027156) and it works fine. It sits on top of a 396 in a 1968 GMC truck. It is set with a manual choke. Very simple setup. I set it up according to specs. The only thing is, and I do not know if this is a problem or not, I cannot pull the choke back unless I give it a little throttle. If you look at the Cam follower, it is pushed forward as far as possible with the choke "open". It seems like it is kept in place by some kind of notch which only releases the cam when I give it some throttle, after that it will move easily. Is it supposed to do that? I do not think it is hurting anything though, it just makes me wonder. Also I have my idle set to where the idle screw is one full turn clockwise past the point where the idle screw first touches the throttle body pull-off. I backed it off as far as possible while still allowing me to achieve my curb idle using the mixture screws. I am 1.5 turns out on the mixture screws. I am sitting at 480 RPMs in drive. Timing and dwell are perfect. All the specs are good and it drives great, nice response. I am trying to keep the throttle as close to closed as possible to prevent run-on when the ignition is turned off. It does not do it all of the time, but every now and then it will, and usually for only one revolution of the crankshaft. Just enough to get on my "I want everything to work perfect" nerves, lol.

Thanks in advance, H

Reply to
the_Host

Yes you have to step on the throttle a bit to apply the choke

480 rpm is too low. run on , stop using regular gas. also too lean a mixture can cause it.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Cool man!

480 (in drive) is the only spec I could ever find, but it does seem alright. I was only 1 turn out, now 1 1/2. So I am richer. I'll try it out a bit and fine tune it.

Thanks, H

Reply to
the_Host