out of topic, but I trust this newsgroup

This is way out of topic, but I respect the folks here, and need some help; I have a 1972 inboard gas marine engine in my old sailboat; it's a 27 HP Universial Atomic 4 ; it's cooled with sea water, just a pump running salt water thru the engine; 2 years ago I found salt water in 2 cylinders (needless to say the engine didn't run) and my mechanic suggested and then did a head gasket ; she ran fine for 40 to 60 hours of use, and then - more water in the aft 2 cylinders nearest the exhaust - and this is important, as I was in rough seas - and there is a possibility water sloshed it's way back up - I did some work on the system to make this less likely, and used the engine for 10 more hours - and then it happened again - so my question is , can a head gasket fail randomly ? Can it hold most of the time and then give out , and then hold again ????

Reply to
Barret Bonden

I would make absolutely sure they used a straight edge to make sure the heads weren't warped. Best gaskets in the world won't stand up to something like that and it happens.............. If you have the time, remove the head, look closely at the gasket then use a straightedge on the head and see what you find. This is usenet, so make up your own mind about how good that advice is, or is not as the case may be.....

Reply to
Patrick t.

And don't forget to check the top of the block for what he described.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Usenet or not, you're absolutely right. I'd check the block mating surface for trueness as well.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I'm not sure how this thing is set up, but I'd be much more inclined to think the salt water got in through the exhaust system. Does the exhaust exit under water? Bob

Reply to
Bob

Bob:

MOST of the time the exhaust exits above the water line - by about three inches; in a high or following sea, it's often under water - and when the boat is healing over a lot , the vertical drop from the point where the gas and water mix in leaving the engine down to the muffler is not much ...what's odd is that I'm sure I was in seas as rough last year, when none of this happened ...if you're interested (!?!) there's a good diagram here

... Two people today suggested changing the exhaust manifold ...most of what Iwas looking to learn here was if gaskets can fail SOME of the time ...Iwould think not, but as I've never changed one in an engine, I know I don'tknow ....can exhaust manifolds fail randomly , allowing water into cylinders?

Reply to
Barret Bonden

Reply to
slick

Hard to be offended when I have no freakin' clue what the hell you're talking about.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

If the engine ran fine while under way only to have problems when restarting after sailing I would be VERY suspicious of the exhaust system. Bob

Reply to
Bob

And check for corrosion on the mating surfaces, saltwater for cooling-thats scary stuff. I hope you are flushing the engine with fresh water when youre done playin, you should......

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
slick

Salt water cooling shortens engine life, you probabally have porosity in your engine block casting. It will look like swiss cheese under a microscope and bubble to beat hell under a pressure test. There is no fix for porosity, you will have to change the engine, while your at it put in a fresh water cooling system.

Reply to
Gill Elmgren

Reply to
Mike Powers