Newbie with a question

Hi all, I have a 97 S-10 that I bought new and has lived a mostly trouble free life. About a month ago it started to run roughly so I scanned it and it gave me code P0305 which is a misfire on cylinder 5. I changed plugs, wires, and cap and problem is still there. It idles fine but won't take more than 1/3 peddle if I push any further it will start running rough and lose power. Any Ideas? as I am out of them.....Thanks Gregg

Reply to
Gregory J Gabborini

how's your fuel pressure

changed fuel filter ?

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Reply to
Gregory J Gabborini

with that many miles on it, it's suspect

I bought a 93 with 151k and after engine work it literally would not get out of its own way

if you can get a scanner on it, the tip off will be if, under load, the O2 readings go lean and the injector pulse width increases as the ECM opens up the injectors trying to get mixture up to specs

I think that my IPW maxxed out a 4.8 mS, on a 4.3

O2 went to under 0.2 volts and stayed there

Reply to
TransSurgeon

If fuel pressure checks out, you might want to consider the injector on that cylinder bad. Since this issue seems to be isolated to that specific cylinder I'd suspect that.

As an FYI, the pump on my 94 died around 110,000 miles, with the alternator dying a week after I got the vehicle back from getting the pump replaced (was a 94 S-15 Jimmy with a FULL tank of gas, not my type of work). I decided I'd had it, started looking and picked up a

2000 S-10 ZR2, haven't looked back. I think this truck is BETTER in the snow than the old one was.
Reply to
Mike Levy

. . . Newbie with a question Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Feb 7, 2004, 7:18pm (CST+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@kiski.net (Gregory=A0J=A0Gabborini)

Hi all, I have a 97 S-10 that I bought new and has lived a mostly trouble free life.

About a month ago it started to run roughly so I scanned it and it gave me code P0305 which is a misfire on cylinder 5. I changed plugs, wires, and cap and problem is still there.

It idles fine but won't take more than 1/3 peddle if I push any further it will start running rough and lose power.

Any Ideas? as I am out of them.....

Thanks Gregg =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Have you had the engine flushed within the last couple of months? (jest curious)

What exactly does...."a mostly trouble free" life cost nowadays? The things 7 years old ..you know. You should have forked over at least $1400 - $2000 in prevenative maintenance services alone. ( ?? )

any whooo......

What did the plug on the #5 cylinder look like? (compared to the others?)

Suspect a faulty injector or an air leak into the cylinder, ....."if" the problem is isolated to just the number 5 jug. I would doubt that to be the case, if it's idling fine but bogging out under moderate to heavy throttle.

With the symptoms you given, you're most likely having a problem across all the cylinders, regardless of what the ECU is spitting out for codes. To me.....power loss and running rough with anything above 1/3 throttle indicates a combustion problem in more than one cylinder.

Ideas for you ???.......... Fork over the money to have it put on a scope and checked over by a good tech. The scope will not only tell you if the prob is isolated to just the #5 cylinder, but it will also eliminate a majority of the guess work concerning the engines mechanical state.

marsh monster ~wonders if the trucks been overheating..... or been allowed to endure sub-zero testing without any Anti-Froze'm in it~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Hi!

Save this for the next time your fuel pump dies with a full tank of gas. I had the same thing happen on my dad's 88 Buick LeSabre.

The pump was dead enough that the car usually wouldn't run, but it was good enough that after pulling a fuel line and rerouting it to a can gas would be pumped out. I figured the pump relay could probably be jumpered, and after looking around behind the glovebox I found, removed and shorted across that relay. It worked like a charm...all I had to do was stop (turn the key off) and get another can each time the current one filled up.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

With the new truck (2000 S-10 pickup), all I'll need is a few friends to help lift the bed. I'll just take the bed off and pull the pump without dropping the tank. Alternative would be to position the truck under a tree, we have PLENTY of them, and use a rope/pulley system to lift the bed on my own.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Reply to
Gregory J Gabborini