Tahoe autotrac part 2 I Win

Ok, 3/8 drill bit and a #6 easy out did the trick. I didnt even come close to drilling through the plug. I picked up a plug at the dealer and theyve changed to a new plug which has a nice big head on it. Couple of last questions though,

What is the spring and hollow bullett looking thing in the drain plug and what is its function? I didnt expect that.

How much blue fluid should it take to refill it?? I only put about 1 and 1/3 quarts to fill. Not much came out when I emptied it but I figured it was low because the output shaft seal was leaking, which I replaced(41$ dealer) Didnt seem like much fluid going in. I also hear you should drive for a while and change the autotrac fluid a second time. Anyone else??

Thanks to everyone for you help. Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

"Rokihora" wrote

Whoa my boy...that's "not" the drain plug. You just pulled out the detent for the shift mechanism. Fortunately, you won't have done any damage on this transfer case, but for goodness sakes, be more careful and do some research before you just pull stuff out. I've seen techs do this type of thing on a manual transmission...they pulled out what they "thought" was the drain or fill plug, it turned out to be the bolt that holds the reverse idler gear shaft in place, had to pull the transmission out and completely dis-assemble in order to get the bolt back in place.

The proper drain plug is on the same surface that you pulled the fill plug from, but it's right at the bottom of the t/case.

The reason you didn't get the full 2 liters in.....is because you pulled the wrong drain plug. Now go drive it around for a bit, pull the "correct" drain plug, and when you refill, you should be able to get the full 2 liters in it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

"Rokihora" wrote

Here......a picture of the drain and fill plugs on the t/case:

What you took out was #'s 21-24 in this exploded view of the t/case:

A different view of the drain and fill plug location, #'s

8 and 9.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Holy *$!$ Now I see. I did check into it before hand but the diagram at the dealer was skechy, not as clear as yours. All the time I spent on my back under that Tahoe I never even saw that other plug, it was hidden by the upcurl of the skid plate. A lesson learned, I was lucky. Now hopefully this 1/4 plug will come out easier than the fill plug Thanks for everyones help Tony

Reply to
Rokihora