Opinions on Schuck's front end parts

I need to get some parts for the front end of my 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton 305. I can save nearly $200 if I get them at Schuck's instead of NAPA. Should I get the cheaper parts or will I regret it?

Here is the parts list:

upper ball joints 2 lower ball joints 2 idler arm 1 pitman arm 1 cv drive axle (right side front axle) 1

BTW what is a tool J-36202 and where can I rent one?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

For front-end parts I wouldn't go with anything but NAPA. You get what you pay for.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

what about CARQUEST Auto Parts. Same product.

Reply to
Francis J Kozlovsky Jr (Jim)

you can't go wrong with Moog or genuine GM parts either..

-Bret

personally I find the lower priced auto parts places (autozone, etc) are great for spark plugs, water pumps and brake pads.... for much more than that... I tend to shop else where.

Reply to
Bret Chase

You're right Doc. My jobber used to stock the same part line as Advance for people that only wanted "cheap" parts. The better quality parts cost more and I've never minded paying for the "best quality" parts. When I finish the job, I expect it to last a long time. I buy oil, chemicals, small parts, etc. at Auto Zone, Advance, Pep Boys, etc. but not much more. I've tried the rest, now I buy the best.

Reply to
Rich B

How about Oreilys

Reply to
LARRY929

Inline.........

Yeah for front-end parts it would be worth $tealership prices.

Agreed. I shop for all "normal wear" items @ Autozone or Advance Auto. Anything that's important I go to NAPA.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Do your homework!!! When I rebuilt the front-end on my '71 3/4T Chevy

4x4, I found out that ,with some companies, there are ball-joints with a urethane liner around the 'ball'. Stays quiet until the urethane wears away after 40-60K. I went with all the parts I could get from MOOG. Top of the line stuff and fit PERFECT!!! If they make it and I need it, I am MORE than willing to wait for backorder if I had to. More than worth the money. I have used MOOG on trucks as well as cars. My primary recommendation!!!

Reply to
Shades

---------------------------- J-36202 torsion arm adjuster puller tool? Do you know what brand autozone or schuck's (same company i think) sells? I'm thinkin you can't knock the part if you don't even know who makes it. I have always used moog just because thats what all the part houses that we had accounts with have....never had a problem. One would think a large company like Autozone wont carry a "problem" part line for very long. But hell, you never know. Just something to think about.

Reply to
Scott M

Doc,

The AZ front end parts are now the Perfect Circle brand, made by Dana. The only probs I've ever had with 'em is after submerging them in mucky puddle water and not greasin 'em up like I shoulda...

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

. . . . Opinions on Schuck's front end parts Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Mon, Oct 20, 2003, 10:35pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dan) I need to get some parts for the front end of my 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton 305. I can save nearly $200 if I get them at Schuck's instead of NAPA. Should I get the cheaper parts or will I regret it? Here is the parts list: upper ball joints 2 lower ball joints 2 idler arm 1 pitman arm 1 cv drive axle (right side front axle) 1 BTW what is a tool J-36202 and where can I rent one? Dan ====== ======

Perfect Circle is crap. TRW is crap.

use MOOG or OEM parts.

what the hell is a J-36202..... sounds like a fancy tape measure with a socket attached.

scrib abell ~:~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

The J-36202 in the manual looks just like a socket wrench. It's probably an attachment for a socket wrench that is used in adjusting the torsion bar. Anyway, I'm not concerned about it now, because I've rented a kit from Schuck's that is supposed to have all the tools for the job.

Schuck's says that they sell McQuay-Norris and Moog. What they mean is that they will get Moog for you if you ask for it and want to wait an extra day, otherwise you'll get McQuay-Norris

I picked up most of the parts from Schuck's last night with the promise that I can return them if I don't decide to use them. They are all MN but I got the heavy duty version whenever they had it. I'm supposed to pick the rest of the parts today, but I still haven't decided to use them.

I appreciate all of the opinions, more especially where they are backed up by facts (like parts going bad after 40k). Of course we don't know if those were MN parts or not. Schuck's says their parts have a lifetime warranty but I didn't ask for them to elaborate. I have already dumped more $ into this truck that it is probably worth, anticipating that I will keep it for a long time. Still the difference is $250 vs $450. I think will take the MN parts to NAPA and see if they can show me the difference. $200 is a lot of $ to me right now.

Thanks again! Dan

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Scrib Abell) wrote in news:736-3F95357F-68 @storefull-2311.public.lawson.webtv.net:

Reply to
Dan