2001 f150 4x4 - front end problems again?

is it possible to have a defective idler arm and tie rod end in 5000 miles? The dealer laso says I need a pitman arm - I don't hink they wear out in 65k miles.

this is a 7700 model - the symptom was... pulling to the left on the highway - I thought they would just do an alignment.

Reply to
Rocky

First, does the vehicle have 5000 or 65,000 miles on it? Huge difference.

Second, you cannot align a vehicle with loose (out of spec) front end parts.

Third, if you meant it was okay when last checked 5000 miles ago, but now it's not, then the answer is yes, things can go bad that soon if they were marginal but still within specs 5000 miles ago.

If you leave your driveway with a perfectly good front end, and hit a pothole like the ones we have around here after several days of rain, then you can "suddenly" have a bad tie rod end, or most any other front end component.

Bad tires pull, or push a vehicle on the road, bad front end components will pull, or a push a vehicle on the road.

If your truck is the late '90's model 7700 F150, chances are you have worn front end components, or a bad tire. Camber is the most common cause of a push or pull, occasionally caster, but those are not things normally adjusted, or needing adjustment on your particular truck. A normal alignment on your truck is a front toe set with the steering wheel straight, but toe being off won't cause a pull, but it can wear tires to the point were they will pull.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader
2001 f150 XL 4x4 7700 65k miles

I bought the truck with a meyer plow on it from another dealer 1 1/2 yrs ago at 24k miles, My Dealer replaced the idler arm then.

I had tires replaced at 39k along with new monroe matic shocks. the tires are roated every 5k miles and are wearing well.

Then at 60k miles, idler arm and tie rod end.

at 65k miles, not they say I idler arm and tie rod aedn are defect - I thought it was odd that they were both defective at the same time, but they are warranttying their work from 60k.

Then they say it needs a pitman arm. Does this model have a portion that wears out or are they pulling my leg? they want $210 installed for the pitman arm.

I am concerned that this is a 7700 but the front end is needed more parts than any of my previous trucks - I plow two small driveways. I have a boat and trailer less than 5000 lbs. for the class 3 hitch.

I've heard about the problems with some f250 front ends, but I guess Ford didn't design much life into the 2001 f150 heavy duty 4x4 front end. I never even take the truck off road.

Reply to
Rocky

It's hard to say without seeing the truck, but a guess would lead me to say the added weight and stress of the plowing is the culprit. Yes, it's possible the two components are bad at the same time.

Good luck man,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I got the truck back tonight - the service manger did not take my call, instead he gave it to the lady at the service writer desk to explain to me not to be concerned about these parts failing 2x and 3x.

At least they gave me a free loaner car for the 2nd night and honored the warrantty from 3500 miles ago (wasn't 5k as I thought.)

I have the old pitman arm that I plan on getting checked out at my local auto supply store.

It drives a little better tonight, but the steering feels a little twitchy - doesn't track like it used to, but at least doesn't pull like before. I'll drive it for a while, but I have my doubts about Ford front end parts, maybe I should use Moog next time and do it myself.

Thanks for your input. It makes sense.

Now I have to try another Ford dealer for a wire harness since this one would not look up the harness part number I need to add the Ford roof console to my P/u.

Reply to
Rocky