Orange Fluid Under Yukon

Hi all. I just did an oil change on my '99 Yukon and when moving it out of my garage I noticed a small puddle of orange liquid. It did not smell like antifreeze, more like an oil. I compared its color to my transmission fluid but it seems more orange than the pink appearance of trans fluid. When changing the oil, I could not find any drips or any component that was obviously leaking. I checked the trans fluid, the radiator and the power steering fluid. The radiator was OK and the other two were a little low, but they were just warm, not hot, so I'm not sure that the readings on the dipsticks were accurate.

I don't drive the Yukon very much and it had been sitting for several weeks. It has 40k miles on it, and runs well. Any ideas?

Thanks, WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

"WaterWatcher" wrote

Three common things come to mind...block heater leaking, (if you even have one), intake manifold gasket is leaking, (very, very....common problem), or the water pump is leaking. Often, you will get a fluid leak when the vehicle is cold, no fluid leak as the engine warms up. You want to look for traces of coolant tracking down the front of the engine, or at the rear, usually by...or coming right off of the starter.

Take note of where the puddle is in relationship to the engine, and start looking up from there.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

could it be leftover of oil from pulling the filter dripping off the engine?

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

The tank is topped up. It has lost just a little in the two years/9000 miles I've owned the truck (maybe lost 3/4" in the tank).

I guess I'd better start driving it more, like tomorrow.

I'll check these out. It looks like it's dripped from the front of the engine compartment and pooled in the back (towards the trans) of my drip pan, but I'm not sure because it looks like it's been a while since it leaked.

I've got the gunk, but no pool. It's been like that for some time. My crappy Haynes manual doesn't mention how to R&R this fitting. I'll have to get a better manual. Any suggestions?

I've been worried about this since I got the Yuke. There's no obvious spot where it's dripping, but maybe it's dried up. I think I'll drive it some and then have the oil analyzed, and have another look underneath. After changing the oil I let it idle for about 30 minutes with no sign of leakage.

Thank you, and to you too. And thanks for the suggestions.

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

No, I don't.

intake manifold gasket is leaking, (very, very....common

Really? I didn't know about that. I'm used to "hot" leaks. I've been dreading the intake manifold leak since I bought the Yuke two years ago.

You want to look

I'm going to drive it tomorrow and have a look when I get home. Also, I'll check the drip pan on my floor when I leave.

Thanks for the help, Ian.

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

"WaterWatcher" wrote

Well, that's good. All vehicles that I work on have block heaters (Alberta, Canada), so it's a common source of coolant leaks.

It will eventually happen. No big deal, if you catch it early, it's a simple matter of either replacing it or having a reputable shop replace the gasket. If you or a shop perform the repair, make sure you change the oil and filter "after" the repair, and "before" you start the engine.

No problem....replaced three of these gaskets this week. Keeps food on the table...and all that!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"WaterWatcher" wrote in news:iOkQb.107603$sv6.534035@attbi_s52:

My *guess* is: Shock Absorber oil. My Chevy S-10 went in for tires and the installer indicated a bad front shock. He said it was leaking oil. This oil was... you guessed it... the color orange.

I also had this orange antifreeze-like puddle under the truck.

Check your shocks for any seepage.....

Reply to
John L. Wilkerson Jr.