OT Gasoline Prices

Good evening, I have a question concerning State Gasoline taxes and the effect that it has on the total price at the pump.

I have lived in Middle Georgia since 1974 and was raised in North Carolina. I have relatives in North Carolina and continue to visit about 4 time per year. When I first began the trips I would stop in the northern part of Ga to fill the tank since S.C. and N.C. prices were approximately 10-12 cents per gallon higher because of the gasoline tax. Now the prices are almost equal. Are the states with lower taxes making more profits or did I miss something with all of the new laws being passed.

I am attaching a link to a site that has some info about each state>

Okay, what did I miss? I assume all states are required to pay Fed tax.. How are the prices set?

Georgia Prices Commodity price is approximately 2.34 Fed tax is .185 Ga tax is .075 Plus .04 per gallon

2.64 plus what ever the profit is

N.C. Prices Commodity price is approximately 2.34 Fed tax is .185 N.C. tax is .245

2.787 plus what ever the profit is

But if you go to the pumps in each state (N.C. & Ga) the prices are within a nickel of each other?? thanks for your inputs cil

Reply to
CIL

I just buy $30 at a time. Not even sure how much gas is. Don't care, just know my truck needs it to move.

Reply to
Slap

Reply to
none2u

Gas is $1.10/l, or about $5./gal here, I haven't noticed fewer hummers on the road and in rush hour the 12 lane throughways are still packed tight with idling sedans containing 1 person. I guess it needs to go up to $10./gal before people's habits change.

-JD in Ontario.

Reply to
John D

I get a real hoot out of the "hummer" comment every time I hear it. from its availability to the public in 1992, to this year,which will be the last for the vehicle there have been 11,575 built and sold. Of those, 121 went to the border patrol. All the ranting about them from the tree huggers over less than 800 vehicles a year.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I see you are an 'expert' on global oil prices. With all you knowledge I am surprised you haven't made a fortune buying and selling oil futures and moved on to things bigger and better than expressing your opinion on news groups. By the way, RUL at Flying J stations today varied from $2.699 in ID and SC to $3.229 in CA. I see what you mean about state taxes not making any price difference.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer

thats funny, I was just thinking that too yesterday when I was on my way to the gas station.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

ya, i think that site said like 27 cents tax in CA....I think its more like 40. Money grubbin bastards!

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

Reply to
none2u

"Whitelightning" "Whitelightning" snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote: >I get a real hoot out of the "hummer" comment every time I hear it. >from its availability to the public in 1992, to this year,which will be the >last for the vehicle there have been 11,575 built and sold. Of those, >121 went to the border patrol. All the ranting about them from the tree >huggers over less than 800 vehicles a year. >

I think you're making these numbers up. Simply by extrapolating the

30 or so vehicles that are in my immediate area (and I live in flat farm country, not very densely populated), I think you're off by several orders of magnitude. Not that I want to get into a big argument about it.

-JD

Reply to
John D

Try not to confuse a Hummer with an H2 which is just a re-bodied suburban, or the H3, which is just a little tonka toy. here's one site with the numbers, , a Hummer Dealership

can also poke around GMHUMMER.com and come up with the numbers.At $128,347.00 starting price, the people that buy them really aren'tworried about the price of gas, any more than someone who buys a comparablypriced Ferrari F430 or a Lamborghini Gallardo. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning