Engine oil prices

Have you noticed how rediculusly high the oil is priced?

Where do you get your oil? I have been buying it at Walmart and I remember Castrol GTX was for about $1.5-$1.7/Qart and $5.5-5.7/5Quart. Then the 5 Quart container moved to over $7, then $9 and yesterday I check the price and it was over $10/5Quart. 1 quart bottles were priced $2.29 What the hell is going on ? Does it relate to the price of gas ? But we did not get two fold increase... And the price of gas is falling very quickly but the oil continues to climb. Where is the good place to get the Castrol oil cheaper in retail ? I make many miles on my '95 camry and to stick to 3000 oil replacement I need to do an oil change every 8 weeks and the current price makes is very painfull experience ;-)

Reply to
Pszemol

Havnt you heard the price of oil is up

Reply to
m Ransley

But not that much! And it is going down for several weeks now. I payed for regular unleaded $2.19/gallon. If I remember correctly, about 16-18 months ago it was around $1.80 per gallon... In the same time span the quart of Castrol GTX oil went up from about a dollar to $2.29 I payed yesterday... It is more then twice.

Reply to
Pszemol

Well MOBIL 1 is over $60 for a 4.5 ltr bottle. here in the UK.

Petrol just dropping a bit now to Circa. just inder $7.0 a gallon.

Try them eggs.

Johnny. UK.

Reply to
JM

Everyone easily raises prices, no one quickly lowers them.

Reply to
m Ransley

Both gasoline and motor oil are based on the price crude oil. Motor oil is not based on the price of gasoline.

Crude oil prices have been close to $70 in recent months, which is more than double that of a year ago. Crude prices are actually down to below $60 right now, but the oil you see on the shelves was probably made from the higher priced crude. You might see a slight dip in a few months. Gasoline prices react quicker to price of crude because it is refined and delivered to consumers much faster than motor oil.

Also, the price of gasoline will not double when crude oil doubles, partially because each gallon of gas at retail contains a substantial federal, state, and local tax that is a fixed price per gallon.

Reply to
Mark A

Sounds fair...

My other question was - is there a way to get a better deal than when purchasing oil in one quart retail packages ? Can I buy, for example,

10-20 gallon drum of Castrol GTX somewhere to get it cheaper than $2.29/quart ?
Reply to
Pszemol

I purchase oil for the city owned water/sewer utility and the wholesaler will sell me a 55 Gal drum of oil at wholesale price plus tax. Couple guys at work have Ford's with the 7.3L diesel so they split a barrel as each truck will use 14 or 15 qts each change. There might be smaller quantities available, I know they make a (appx) 30 gal barrel, but not if they sell oil in it. Check for a wholesaler in your area. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92