Gasoline is still too cheap...

This seems like bait. Particularly with your chosen moniker.

Reply to
witfal

...for some people. Let me give you some examples.

1) Driving on a single lane, 45-mph road, the car in front varies his speed from 45 to 50 then down to 40 and up again with no reasons at all for him to fluctuate. 2) A lady was sleeping in her car with it running so the AC can run. She admitted to doing this for her lunch breaks, which run about an hour. She also admitted that there's a "quiet room" at her work but didn't like using it. 3) At a local "fast food" restaurant, the line for the drive-thru is filled and going very slowly. Instead of going to the lobby where there's virtually no waiting, those drivers insist on staying in their car idling. 4) A family member of mine traded in her van for an SUV for its "utility." She's never been off road in her life. She even lost some cargo and passenger room. 5) My neighbor across the street pulls up in his driveway leaving his car door wide open, checks his mail, and decides to talk to me for about 10 mins. All the time, his V8 equipped car is idling. I asked him several times if he wished to shut off his car. He just shrugs and says, "it's ok." I suppose he was being neighborly social. 6) Driving with a friend to play golf, he decides to drive 35-mph on a 45-mph road to "save gas." His car couldn't even get into overdrive. Pointing this out proved fruitless. 7) I came out of the grocery store to find my Supra to be surrounded by teens with the "fixed up" pocket rockets. One left his Acura Intregra idling. It was misfiring badly. He said that he wanted to put an exhaust on it to increase his horsepower. I suggested a tune-up but he said that will be "later." 8) A former colleague of mine came for a visit with his previous body style Tacoma. He had it "jacked up" to clear the big tires and wheels he put on it. He said he wanted to get the new body style because it's more economical. Wouldn't putting the factory-sized wheels and tires get the same increase in fuel economy?

Some people complain everytime it goes up 20 cents yet waste it like it was free. What does it take? $6 a gallon?

Reply to
Viperkiller

Evasiveness aside, what marque?

Reply to
witfal

Not at all. No subterfuge. Just an observation.

As for my sobriquet, the license plate on my car reads: VIPR KLR

Reply to
Viperkiller

SO NICE TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE TAKING NOTICE OF THIS SHIT! We Americans are so damn spoiled.

Reply to
JamesAtDFI

Toyota Supra Turbo. Just like I've got. Except his has more mods.

Reply to
dizzy

Racing along, killing Vipers, egocentrically and unnecessarily consuming excess fuel to "compensate".

If true, then I'd not be preaching about the cost of gasoline. If not true, then why the plate?

Reply to
witfal

8)
Reply to
dizzy

Kudos to you!!!

Reply to
Viperkiller

Never assume what someone is as you'll appear doltish. If you wish to know the origin, ask.

You seem like a smart person but it seems I have to still spell things out for you. My post included that I drove a Supra but yet you still asked.

The point of my post is that people complain about fuel costs but still contradictorily waste it. You'll never hear me complain about fuel costs.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Too spoiled indeed. Land of the excess right?

Reply to
Viperkiller

Whatever you say, twink.

Reply to
witfal

In my Liberal, Earthy-Crunchy Granola County Seat 'city' (a whopping

19,000 people) I have seen a number of bumper stickers saying, "I'm driving 55 to save fuel and the planet."

Most of these have been on Japanese cars, and even one on a Prius.

Japanese cars are engineered for the Japanese national speed limit of 62 MPH (100 kPH), but since they are often under-engined in order to save fuel in the congested cities of Japan, they don't really hit their stride until about 70 MPH. All of the Toyotas I have owned have gotten their best efficiency at 68-70 MPH. I usually hit at least 30 MPG at this speed.

Twenty years of owning the "Hachiroku" was quite the experiment. When I bought it the speed limit was 55 MPH. It got about 28 MPG at this speed. Sixty MPH wassn't much better; 29-30 MPG. Sixty-five was a bit better, about 32 MPG. The best economy came on at 70 MPH, which was a consistant

35 MPG. It would get 36-38 MPG at 70 MPH regularly. Bear in mind, this is an OVERALL MPG rating; I was doing a fair amount of city driving as well as long stints on the highway. On a near non-stop trip to Toronto I averaged 38 MPG on the highway at 70 MPG with the AC cranked all the way.

The same trip with an '87 Carbeurated Corolla, 90 degrees and the AC cranked got an amazing 45 MPG while maintaining a 72 MPH average.

So, if you have a Jap car, and really want to save fuel, HIT THE GAS!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The plate on *MY* Supra reads "SML PNS"

No, not really, but I am thinking of it... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

You'd bitch if you were hung with a new rope!

But keep it up, it won't be long before none of your neighbors will talk to you.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

This should be a required sticker placed on the rear bumpers of convicted street-racers, required to be left in place for one year.

Reply to
witfal

STFU, Jack. He made some good points. Some people seem to waste fuel and money "just because they can"--very adolescent, IMHO.

Reply to
sharx35

Whatever you say, you sanctimonious, hypocritical, twink.

Reply to
witfal

No, it's called "FREE MARKET". If I can afford something, you have no business telling me I can't buy it or how much of it I can buy. After I buy it, it's mine. If I want to pour it in a bucket and burn it, it's no business of yours. So you learn a bit about the world and how it works then you STFU.

Reply to
Retired VIP

Especially since those of us with Supras like cheap gas!

Reply to
Hachiroku